Legends Take Series over Drive in Game Three Victory
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends took the series from the Greenville Drive with a 4-3 victory over the Greenville Drive in the series finale. The Legends improve to 47-45 on the season while the Drive drops to 42-52.
The Drive were first to strike in the top of the first inning. Brandon Howlett drew a walk then moved to second on a single by Triston Casas. Tyler Esplin doubled to right field, driving home both runners and Greenville led, 2-0.
Lexington answered in the bottom of the second inning. Reed Rohlman singled down the left field line then moved to second when Brhet Bewley was hit by a pitch. Chase Vallot deposited an RBI single to left field and the Legends were on the board, 2-1. An RBI groundout by Jeison Guzman tied the game, 2-2.
In the top of the third inning, Chris Hudgins smashed a leadoff homer to left field and the Legends took the lead, 3-2.
Greenville knotted the game up in the top of the seventh inning. Cole Brannen drew a lead off walk then moved to third on two groundouts by Howlett and Casas. Brannen then came home to score on a wild pitch by Bryce Hensley and the game was tied, 3-3.
In the bottom of the seventh inning, Jeison Guzman led off with a double to right field then advanced to third on a wild pitch. He came home to score on a Rubendy Jaquez double and the Legends held on to the 4-3 victory.
Bryce Hensley was awarded the victory tossing 5.0 innings allowing two runs on six hits while walking two and striking out four. Alex Scherff was given the loss pitching 6.1 innings allowing four runs on five hits while walking one and striking out eight.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Jeison Guzman of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Rome Powers Up to Beat Kannapolis 9-3 in Finale - Rome Braves
- Butto and Acosta Shut Down Charleston, Fireflies Sweep Sunday Doubleheader - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Stump 'Birds in 10th, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Five-Run Eighth Sinks Power in Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Swept by Fireflies in Sunday Twin Bill - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Bats Come Out, Complete Sweep over Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Feltner Wins His Third Straight Start for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Take Series over Drive in Game Three Victory - Lexington Legends
- Asheville Pitches Their Way to Series Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Complete Sweep of Claws with 10-5 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Doubleheader Game Notes: July 14 vs. Charleston (Games 89 & 90) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 14) - West Virginia Power
- Promotional Notes (July 15-21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Defeats Rome 6-5 in a Walk-Off Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Legends Announce Postseason Activities
- Lexington Adds MLB Veteran Eric Young Jr., Cole Sturgeon, Chris Proctor
- Legends Add Former Cincinnati Red Ivan De Jesus Jr.
- Phillips Brothers Join the Lexington Legends
- Commonwealth of Kentucky Shines as Lexington Releases Rosters for Battle of the Bourbon Trail