Kannapolis Defeats Rome 6-5 in a Walk-Off Victory
KANNAPOLIS, NC - The Rome Braves got clutch hits late from Griffin Benson to erase a pair of Kannapolis leads but it wasn't enough as the Intimidators got a walk-off single from Andrew Vaughn in the Bottom of the 9th inning to defeat Rome 6-5. The loss gave the series to Kannapolis and put the Braves back into a tie for 1st place in the Southern Division with Augusta.
Rome held a lead for much of the game, scoring two runs in the 1st inning on a single by Ricardo Rodriguez. Kannapolis eventually got to Braves starter LHP Dilmer Mejia, scoring four runs off him in the 5th inning to take a 4-2 lead.
The Braves trailed until a two out, two run blast by Benson out to right field in the 8th inning. The homer sailed over the visitor's bullpen and tied the game 4-4. Kannapolis retook the lead with a run in the Bottom of the 8th and was up 5-4 when Rome would stage another comeback.
Justin Dean opened the 9th with a double and later found himself at third base with two outs. Benson again stepped to the plate in a big spot and came through, singling against the defensive shift to score Dean and tie the game 5-5.
Kannapolis and Vaughn walked it off against Rome reliever RHP Kasey Kalich to end the game. Rome has now lost seven of nine matchups against Kannapolis at Intimidators Stadium this season.
Benson was 2-4 with a homerun and three RBI. Rodriguez went 3-5 with a double and two RBI. Braden Shewmake was 2-5 with a double. Dean was 1-4 with a double and a walk.
Mejia threw 4.1 innings and allowed four runs on six hits. He struck out three and walked one. Reliever RHP Jose Montilla pitched 2.2 innings and allowed one run on five hits while striking out four. He did not issue a walk.
Rome and Kannapolis conclude their three game series on Sunday evening. Game 3 from Intimidators Stadium is scheduled for 5 pm. Rome will start RHP Alan Rangel (7-5, 5.19) while Kannapolis starts RHP Kevin Folman (0-0, 2.66).
Rome Braves (12-11, 42-50): 5 R 9 H 0 E
Kannapolis Intimidators (13-10, 41-50): 6 R 12 H 0 E
W: J.B. Olson (1-1)
L: Kasey Kalich (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Rome Powers Up to Beat Kannapolis 9-3 in Finale - Rome Braves
- Butto and Acosta Shut Down Charleston, Fireflies Sweep Sunday Doubleheader - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Stump 'Birds in 10th, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Five-Run Eighth Sinks Power in Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Swept by Fireflies in Sunday Twin Bill - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Bats Come Out, Complete Sweep over Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Feltner Wins His Third Straight Start for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Take Series over Drive in Game Three Victory - Lexington Legends
- Asheville Pitches Their Way to Series Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Complete Sweep of Claws with 10-5 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Doubleheader Game Notes: July 14 vs. Charleston (Games 89 & 90) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 14) - West Virginia Power
- Promotional Notes (July 15-21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Defeats Rome 6-5 in a Walk-Off Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.