FC Dallas falls 1-0 to New York Red Bulls
FRISCO, Texas - FC Dallas fell 1-0 to Red Bull New York in front of 17,019 fans Saturday night at Pizza Hut Park. New York forward Luke Rogers scored the match's lone goal in the 36th minute.
FC Dallas opened the match on the attack, gaining four solid scoring opportunities between the fifth and 21st minutes. Unfortunately for the defending Western Conference champions, Red Bull New York goalkeeper Frank Rost came up with three big saves to keep the match scoreless.
FC Dallas got one of its best looks at goal early when in the fifth minute Zach Loyd's throw-in was clipped to the back post by Andrew Jacobson. Maicon Santos collected the pass at the far post before turning and firing a shot high to Rost's right that cracked the near post before going out for a goal kick.
Red Bull New York scored on a counter attack in the 36th minute when U.S. National Team forward Juan Agudelo came free on the right flank and delivered a low cross in to the feet of Rogers at the far post. Agudelo's pass was well placed, barely eluding the feet of sliding FC Dallas defender George John before setting up for Rogers at the back post.
FC Dallas continued to dominate possession to start the second half. The team would eventually finish the match with an 18-6 advantage in shots, but could not get a goal to fall without its top three goal scorers sidelined due to injury (David Ferreira and Marvin Chavez) or suspension (Brek Shea).
The best chance for FC Dallas to equalize came in the 58th minute when Daniel Hernandez played a free kick opportunity from midfield to Ugo Ihemelu at the back post. Ihemelu stretched out to reach the line drive pass at the back post but the ball skipped too far out in front of the defender for him to redirect a shot on goal.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2011
- RSL red-hot - Real Salt Lake
- New York Stays In Playoff Hunt With Hard-fought Victory And A Two-game Homestand Ahead - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC win 3-0 victory - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas falls 1-0 to New York Red Bulls - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Fall 2-1 to Houston Dynamo on the Road - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting Kansas City Drops 1-0 Decision at Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC Vs. D.C. United - September 17, 2011 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Le Toux's Goal Fuels Philadelphia Union in 1-0 Win Vs. Columbus Crew - Philadelphia Union
- Late Game Heroics Help 10-Man Chicago Fire Down Chivas USA 3-2 - Chicago Fire FC
- Chicago Fire Honor 11 of Chicago's Most Influential Hispanic Leaders - Chicago Fire FC
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Streak with 3-0 Win Over Revolution - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Falls 2-1 at Home Versus CF Montréal
- FC Dallas to Compete in 2024 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Asier Illarramendi Named to MLSsoccer.com's Team of the Matchday
- FC Dallas Wins Season Opener 2-1 Against San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Campari's Wild Turkey© and Longbranch© Bourbons and Espolòn© Tequila