Sounders FC win 3-0 victory
SEATTLE -- Two late first-half goals set the tone for Sounders FC in a commanding 3-0 victory over D.C. United in front of the 47th consecutive sellout crowd on the XBOX Pitch at Century Link Field.
Alvaro Fernandez struck twice after Mike Fucito opened the scoring. Mauro Rosales established a new Seattle season record for assists, earning credit on the first two goals and playing a key role in the third. Kasey Keller posted his ninth shutout, matching his season high with six saves
Sounders FC (14-6-9, 51 points) has won three of their last four MLS games, and is 10-2-4 in their last 16. Across all competitions Seattle is 9-1-1 since July 30.
D.C. United (8-8-10, 34 points) has now lost two of their last three and ranks fifth in the Eastern Conference, seven points behind first-place Columbus.
After nearly 35 minutes of near-misses, Fucito put the Rave Green in front. Brad Evans won the ball in midfield and Rosales flicked his pass on to Fucito, who had United defender Brandon McDonald on his back. Fucito wheeled around McDonald, advanced on keeper Joe Willis and hammered a low shot to the left corner. It was the second goal of the season for Fucito, who last scored on August 27 against Columbus.
In the second minute of first-half stoppage time Fernandez doubled the lead. A quick sequence of passes from Montero to Rosales to Fernandez found the Uruguayan free on the right side of the box to slam a drive past Willis.
Montero now has four goals and four assists in the last seven matches over all competitions. Rosales broke the assist record of 10, set last season by Montero. Rosales was helped from the field in the 89th minute after being fouled from behind by Daniel Woolard.
Rosales nearly had his third assist on the game's final goal. In the 59th minute, he sent a beautiful cross from the right corner that Montero headed forcefully down to the feet of Willis. The keeper blocked the ball but Fernandez pounced on the rebound, blasting it into the net from 8 yards. Fernandez now has eight goals in MLS.
The match attracted 36,242 fans. With two regular season games remaining Sounders FC has broke their own MLS record for total season attendance, currently with 553,987. The record of 542,600 was set last season over 15 matches.
Seattle hosts Costa Rica's CS Herediano in a CONCACAF Champions League match on Tuesday at Century Link Field. First kick is 7 p.m. They return to MLS play next Saturday at Vancouver.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2011
- RSL red-hot - Real Salt Lake
- New York Stays In Playoff Hunt With Hard-fought Victory And A Two-game Homestand Ahead - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC win 3-0 victory - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas falls 1-0 to New York Red Bulls - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Fall 2-1 to Houston Dynamo on the Road - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting Kansas City Drops 1-0 Decision at Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC Vs. D.C. United - September 17, 2011 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Le Toux's Goal Fuels Philadelphia Union in 1-0 Win Vs. Columbus Crew - Philadelphia Union
- Late Game Heroics Help 10-Man Chicago Fire Down Chivas USA 3-2 - Chicago Fire FC
- Chicago Fire Honor 11 of Chicago's Most Influential Hispanic Leaders - Chicago Fire FC
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Streak with 3-0 Win Over Revolution - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Plays to Scoreless Home Draw with Austin FC
- Sounders FC Faces Austin FC Saturday in Home Opener
- Osvaldo Alonso Signs One-Day Contract to Retire a Sounder
- Sounders FC Hosts Austin FC in 2024 Home Opener this Saturday, with Special Matchday Elements as Club Celebrates 50th Anniversary Season
- Sounders FC Great Ozzie Alonso to Sign One-Day Contract and Retire in Rave Green