FC Cincinnati Sign Paul Walters as a Homegrown PlayerÃÂ
January 20, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - FC Cincinnati News Release
FC Cincinnati have signed former FC Cincinnati Academy goalkeeper Paul Walters as a Homegrown Player, the club announced today. The goalkeeper joins the club on a deal through the 2026 season with a club option for 2027.
Walters, 18, becomes the sixth former FCC Academy player in club history to sign a first team contract with the Orange and Blue, and the third this offseason.
"We are excited to sign Paul as we continue to focus on developing young talents," said Chris Albright, FC Cincinnati General Manager. "From his time with our Academy, FC Cincinnati 2, and at Northwestern, he's shown to be a smart, athletic goalkeeper with great potential. I'd like to welcome him back to Cincinnati as he begins his professional career."
Walters rejoins the Orange and Blue following one season at Northwestern University where he made four starts for the Wildcats. Walters made his collegiate debut against Houston Baptist on September 12, a 2-1 win, and made a career-high six saves against Northern Illinois on October 12.
Walters joined the FC Cincinnati Academy in 2019 as part of the program's inaugural class. He played for the U17 and U19 teams before committing to Northwestern. Walters also trained with and made one appearance for FC Cincinnati 2 in MLS NEXT Pro this past season in a 5-3 win against Orlando City B on May 29. Walters made five saves in the match.
"I'm excited to be back here at FC Cincinnati," Walters said. "Starting out in the Academy through [Goalkeeper Coach] Dave Schureck I was able to learn a lot and improve my game. I've kept my love of soccer this whole time, it's great to be back."
Walters, a native of nearby West Chester, attended Lakota West High School, the same high school as FC Cincinnati defender Nick Hagglund.
Walters will be the fourth Homegrown Player on FC Cincinnati's current active roster (Stiven Jimenez, Arquimides Ordoñez, Harrison Robledo) and is the sixth former FCC Academy product to have been signed to the first team (Beckham Sunderland, Malik Pinto).
TRANSACTION: FC Cincinnati sign goalkeeper Paul Walters as a Homegrown Player through the 2026 season with a club option for 2027.
Height: 6' 3"
Birthdate: April 11, 2004 (18)
Birthplace: West Chester, Ohio
2023 Season Tickets, which include all 17 regular season matches and both Leagues Cup Group Stage matches, are also on sale now at fccincinnati.com/tickets. 2023 Single Match Tickets will go on sale Thursday, Jan. 26 in an exclusive presale for Season Ticket Members. Single Match Tickets will go on sale to the general public Friday, Jan. 27.
Fans who purchase Half Season Ticket Packages will be able to choose one of the two group stage matches once the Leagues Cup schedule is announced. An FC Cincinnati ticketing representative will reach out to confirm specific dates at a later time. Choose from the Orange Package here and the Blue Package now. Fans looking for more information can contact a dedicated FC Cincinnati representative at (513) 977-5435 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fans can currently place deposits on Group Tickets and Premium seating options for the 2023 season. More information on these experiences at TQL Stadium can be found at fccincinnati.com/tickets.
2023 marks the fifth season in MLS for FC Cincinnati. The Orange and Blue begin the season at home for the first time in club history on February 25 at TQL Stadium against Houston Dynamo FC. The full 2023 regular season schedule can be viewed HERE.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2023
- Inter Miami CF Set to Face Vasco da Gama in First Friendly of 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC and Providence Agree to Unprecedented Community-Focused Partnership - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Paul Walters as a Homegrown PlayerÃÂ - FC Cincinnati
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Atlanta United and Cruz Azul in Leagues Cup 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Leagues Cup: Whitecaps FC Grouped with LIGA MX Side Club León and MLS Western Conference Rival LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Draw Chivas Guadalajara, Sporting Kansas City in Leagues Cup 2023 - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Toronto FC
- Austin FC to Face Mazatlán FC, FC Juárez in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Austin FC
- Earthquakes Placed into Group B for Leagues Cup 2023 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew to Host Storied Mexican Side Club América and MLS Expansion Team St. Louis CITY SC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- CF Montréal to Face Pumas UNAM and D.C. United in Leagues Cup this Summer - Club de Foot Montreal
- Leagues Cup: New York City Football Club Drawn Alongside Atlas F.C. and Toronto FC - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Placed in Group 4 of the Central Region in Leagues Cup 2023 - Nashville SC
- Timbers to Compete against Tigres UANL and San Jose Earthquakes in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United to Play Cruz Azul, Inter Miami CF in Leagues Cup 2023 - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Drawn into Group with Atletico San Luis and New England Revolution for 2023 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC to Face Puebla, Minnesota United FC in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Chicago Fire FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Leagues Cup 2023 Opponents - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United's Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - D.C. United
- Sporting to Play Chivas Guadalajara and FC Cincinnati in Leagues Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC to Host Santos Laguna & Houston Dynamo FC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids to Face Toluca and Nashville SC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Joins North American Powers Monterrey FC and Seattle Sounders as Leagues Cup 2023 Groups Unveiled - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas to Face Necaxa and Charlotte FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - FC Dallas
- St. Louis CITY SC Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - St. Louis City SC
- Minnesota United to Face Club Puebla and Chicago Fire FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage Play - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC to Face Santos Laguna and Orlando City SC in the Leagues Cup 2023 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Inter Miami CF Completes Permanent Transfer of Forward Leonardo Campana - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Waives Uri Rosell - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- BY THE NUMBERS: FC Cincinnati at Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati to Host Inter Miami CF in 2023 U.S. Open Cup Semifinals on August 23
- FC Cincinnati Sign MLS SuperDraft Selection London Aghedo
- FC Cincinnati Advance to U.S. Open Cup Semifinals with 3-1 Win Over Pittsburgh Riverhounds
- U-13 Academy Class Visits Mercy Health Training Center for Signing Event