FC Cincinnati Defeat New York, 2-0 and Knock Red Bulls out of Tournament
FC Cincinnati (2-3-0, 6 pts) take three points from the New York Red Bulls (2-2-1, 7 pts)and advance to the Knockout Round with a 2-0 win on Wednesday night at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
Cincinnati ended the first half with a Yuya Kubo tally in the 43rd minute and followed up early in the second with a New York own goal to double the lead in the 56th minute.
Since 2015, New York is 14-42-11 when allowing the first goal.
The Red Bulls tallied multi-goal regular-season loses for the first time since August 31-September 15, 2019 following loses to Seattle and Colorado.
Connecticut native Ben Mines made his first appearance with the first team since his MLS debut on March 10, 2018.
New York is 52-45-23 all-time in the month of July. New York has scored 192 goals in the seventh month of the year and allowed 184.
New York Red Bulls 0, FC Cincinnati 2
2020 MLS is Back Tournament | Group E Game 3
Wednesday - 8 p.m. ET
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex | Orlando, Fla.
CIN - Yuya Kubo (unassisted) 43'
CIN - Florian Valot (OG) 57'
CIN - Mathie Deplagne (yellow, handball) 39'
NY - Jason Pendant (yellow, unsporting behavior) 60'
New York Red Bulls: David Jensen; Jason Pendant, Aaron Long, Amro Tarek, Kyle Duncan, Cristian CÃ¡sseres, Jr. (Marc Rzatkowski, 64'), Sean Davis ©, Kaku (Ben Mines, 64'), Florian Valot (Jared Stroud, 64'), Daniel Royer (Tom Barlow, 80'), Omir Fernandez (Brian White, 80')
Unused Subs: Alex Muyl, Patrick Seagrist, Sean Nealis, Ryan Meara, Mandela Egbo, Kendall McIntosh, Tim Parker
TOTAL SHOTS: 19; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 9; SAVES: 1
FC Cincinnati: Przemyslaw Tyton, Kendall Waston © (Nick Hagglund, 88'), Tom Pettersson, Mathieu Deplagne, Andrew Gutman, Haris Medunjanin, Frankie Amaya, Caleb Stanko (Fatai Alashe, 88'), Yuya Kubo (Siem De Jong, 66'), Adrien Regattin (Brandon Vazquez, 66'), Joe Gyau (Saad Abdul-Salaam, 88')
Unused Subs: Bobby Edwards, Greg Garza, Allan Cruz, Allan Cruz, Zico Bailey, Tommy McCabe, Kekuta Manneh
TOTAL SHOTS: 4; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 4
Referee: Marcos de Oliveira
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Kieso, Ian McKay
4th Official: Silviu Petrescu
VAR: David Gantar
Attendance: Closed-door match
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 22, 2020
- FC Cincinnati Defeat New York, 2-0 and Knock Red Bulls out of Tournament - New York Red Bulls
- Orange and Blue advance to MLS is Back Tournament Knockout Stage - FC Cincinnati
- Impact Reaches Round of 16 of MLS Is Back Tournament - Montreal Impact
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Group Play against LA Galaxy and Vie for Spot in Knockout Round - Houston Dynamo
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Acquire Goalkeeper Jonathan Sirois on Loan from Montreal Impact - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Greater Orlando 2026 FIFA World Cup Pursuit Partners Present to FIFA and U.S. Soccer - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 to Sporting KC - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Sinks RSL 2-0 to Reach Knockout Stage - Sporting Kansas City
- KCOP and Estrella TV to Re-Air Saturday Night's 6-2 LAFC Victory over Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- Newest MLS Expansion Club Unveils Name, Crest and Colors - Charlotte FC
- Trevor Burns Named 2020 UnitedHealthcare Revolution Academy Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Fall to Montreal in Final Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Match Report - Montreal Impact 1-0 D.C. United - Montreal Impact
- Revolution to Play Philadelphia Union in Round of 16 on July 25 - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Roll Past Inter Miami, 4-1
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Head South for Mid-Week Matchup at Inter Miami
- Red Bull Arena to Continue to Host NYCFC, Montreal Matches
- Major League Soccer Announces Remainder of 2020 Regular-Season Schedule
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0