Newest MLS Expansion Club Unveils Name, Crest and Colors
Charlotte's new MLS expansion team revealed its official name, crest and colors during a live-streamed event featuring the club's supporters' group and owner David Tepper.
Get your Charlotte FC gear now The club is set to kick off its inaugural MLS season in 2022 and will play at Bank of America Stadium in the heart of Charlotte.
Name & Colors
The new team will be named Charlotte Football Club, or Charlotte FC. The club will also adopt CLTFC as a secondary reference.
Four primary colors will identify the team: Carolina blue, black, silver and white.
CREST: Charlotte FC's crest and its clean, circular shape is inspired by a classical coin, recognizing the city's modern status as a major US financial capital as well as its history as the first American city with its own branch of the US Mint.
CROWN: The centerpiece of the crest is a four-point crown- the spires represent each of the four wards of Uptown Charlotte- symbolizing the royal legacy behind the city's name. Charlotte is the original Queen City named in honor of queen Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, wife of Britain's King George III, during the time of the city's founding in 1768.
TYPE: The engraved typography is a nod to Charlotte's minting history, featuring a contemporary aesthetic with its white-on-black typeface.
MINTED 2022: The border mark commemorates the inaugural season of the club, while paying homage to the city's coin-making past.
Charlotte FC have already signed the first player in club history, 25-year-old Spanish midfielder Sergio Ruiz, and they are well on their way to building out their front office staff with sporting director Zoran Krneta, technical director Marc Nicholls, scouting director Thomas Schaling and other hires, including a special advisor .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 22, 2020
- FC Cincinnati Defeat New York, 2-0 and Knock Red Bulls out of Tournament - New York Red Bulls
- Orange and Blue advance to MLS is Back Tournament Knockout Stage - FC Cincinnati
- Impact Reaches Round of 16 of MLS Is Back Tournament - Montreal Impact
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Group Play against LA Galaxy and Vie for Spot in Knockout Round - Houston Dynamo
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Acquire Goalkeeper Jonathan Sirois on Loan from Montreal Impact - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Greater Orlando 2026 FIFA World Cup Pursuit Partners Present to FIFA and U.S. Soccer - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 to Sporting KC - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Sinks RSL 2-0 to Reach Knockout Stage - Sporting Kansas City
- KCOP and Estrella TV to Re-Air Saturday Night's 6-2 LAFC Victory over Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- Newest MLS Expansion Club Unveils Name, Crest and Colors - Charlotte FC
- Trevor Burns Named 2020 UnitedHealthcare Revolution Academy Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Fall to Montreal in Final Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Match Report - Montreal Impact 1-0 D.C. United - Montreal Impact
- Revolution to Play Philadelphia Union in Round of 16 on July 25 - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.