Fayetteville Snaps IceGator Win Streak
Lafayette, La.--The Fayetteville FireAntz rebounded from an Friday night overtime loss to defeat the Louisiana IceGators in a rematch at the Cajundome. Four different Fayetteville players scored in the route, which snapped the IceGators' six-game win streak.
The IceGators (12-4-1) will return to the ice Sunday afternoon. They will head east down Interstate 10 to take on the Pensacola IceFlyers. Game time is set for 3:05 p.m.
"Obviously, it was a good run for the last six games," said IceGators head coach Kevin Kaminski. "But you have to earn it day in and day out. We didn't earn it tonight.
"Give Fayetteville credit. They played hard and smart. They did what they had to do to get a road win."
Fayetteville opened the game with three unanswered goals.
Matt Ridley scored the only goal of the first period at the 4:48 mark. Chris Greene scored on a powerplay eight minutes into the second period, while Matt Smythe tacked on another goal with just under five minutes remaining in the frame.
The IceGators responded at the 16:44 mark of the second period when Jeff Grant scored a power play of his own.
Fayetteville put the nail in the IceGators coffin late in the third period when Evan Chandla scored with 4:16 remaining in the game.
Kaminski said his team needs to respond with more fundamentally sound game in Pensacola. He also added that his team needs to check its pride at the locker room door.
"We need an attitude adjustment and a change in our work ethic," Kaminski said. "We didn't work tonight. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You get out of life what you put into it. We didn't put anything in tonight."
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2013
- Newcomers Propel Rivermen to 4-3 Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Thunder Extend RiverKings' Skid to Three - Mississippi RiverKings
- Ice Bears Building Upon Success - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Fayetteville Snaps IceGator Win Streak - Louisiana IceGators
- Surge Shut out by Ross MacKinnon and the IceFlyers - Mississippi Surge
- Ice Flyers Down Surge 3-0 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Thunder Hold off Late Flurry to Beat RiverKings - Bloomington Thunder
- RiverKings Rally Late, Fall to Pensacola - Mississippi RiverKings
- Larsen Propels Rivermen to Third Straight Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Pensacola Downs RiverKings in Wild 6-5 Game - Pensacola Ice Flyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.