Express Pummel Memphis, 11-6
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Collin DeLome was 2-for-4 with four RBI, including a key three-run double, in leading the Round Rock Express to an 11-6 victory Monday night over the Memphis Redbirds at The Dell Diamond. The Express (36-49) snapped a seven-game losing streak with the victory, which also snapped a five-game losing streak against the Redbirds (46-38). The series is tied 1-1; Memphis leads the season series 6-3.
Round Rock reached double figures in runs for the first time since May 18, an 11-10 loss at Colorado Springs. It was the Express' best offensive output since a 12-9 victory at Colorado Springs the previous day. Round Rock had not scored 10-plus runs in a home game all season.
The Express built a seven-run lead with a three-run first, a run in the third and a three-run fourth. However, it was DeLome's bases-loaded double in the bottom of the seventh that was the game's key play.
Aaron Craig's grand slam capped a six-run top of the seventh for Memphis, pulling the Redbirds to within a run at 7-6. It was the second home run in the last three games against Round Rock for Craig, who blasted a three-run, game-ending homer against the Express in the bottom of the ninth in Saturday night's series finale at Memphis.
DeLome made sure the Redbirds would get no closer. With the bases loaded and one out, DeLome doubled to left-center, scoring all three runs. Memphis catcher Matt Pagnozzi tried to tag out the third runner, Drew Locke; however, the ball was dislodged from his mitt and sailed down the first-base line. That allowed DeLome to score from second and capped the scoring for the night.
Bazardo, who allowed Craig's home run on his third pitch of the game, and T.J. Burton pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth, respectively, to close the game. Starter Andy Van Hekken (5-5) picked up the win with a deceiving line; he allowed five runs, three of which scored after he left the game, on six hits and four walks with three strikeouts over 6.2 innings. Van Hekken worked six scoreless innings before a double, two singles and two walks forced him out of the game in the seventh.
Memphis starter David Kopp (0-3) took the loss; he surrendered seven runs, five earned, on eight hits and two walks with no strikeouts over 4.0 innings.
Ramon Vazquez had a one-out, two-run double in the bottom of the first, and Locke followed with an RBI groundout. In the third, Brian Bogusevic led off with a single, stole second and later scored on a DeLome two-out single. A passed ball accounted for Round Rock's first run in the fourth. One pitch later, Tommy Everidge drilled a two-run homer to left. It was his 10th homer of the season, his third since joining the Express two weeks ago.
Bogusevic was 3-for-4 with three runs scored and a walk, while Everidge was 2-for-5 with three runs scored. Matt Kata also scored twice.
Craig and Donovan Solano both had multiple-hit games for the Redbirds, each going 2-for-4.
Round Rock and Memphis continue the four-game series Tuesday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at The Dell Diamond. Right-hander Shane Loux (2-5, 6.25 ERA) starts for the Express, while right-hander P.J. Walters (1-2, 3.46 ERA) heads to the mound for the Redbirds.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 5, 2010
- Beavers Done In by Errors in 7-6 Loss to 51s - Portland Beavers
- Cubs Prevail over Isotopes and Rain Delays, 7-6 - Iowa Cubs
- Koshansky Homers Twice in Nashville's 10-5 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Express Pummel Memphis, 11-6 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Use 5-Run 6th to Down Royals - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Cubs Postponed Until Tuesday - Iowa Cubs
- Baseball Wives to Visit Zephyr Field - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats Escape with 7-3 Win Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Aces Outfielder Deeds Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - Reno Aces
- U.S. Honor Flag to Make Stop at the Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Strike Zone Exposure Camp July 12 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Set Attendance Record And Fall 10-8 - Reno Aces
- Baxter-Led Beavers Add To The Holiday Festivities With 5-4 Victory - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched
- Encore Drive-In Night Featuring Kane Brown Comes to Dell Diamond
- Make It a September to Remember at Dell Diamond