Baxter-Led Beavers Add To The Holiday Festivities With 5-4 Victory
Mike Baxter was 2-for-4 with three RBIs, and the Portland Beavers snapped a four-game skid as they held on to beat the Las Vegas 51s 5-4 before 13,108 Sunday evening at PGE Park.
Baxter gave the Beavers an early lead with a two-run triple and restored Portland's lead for good with a two-out single that allowed two runs to score in the fifth.
Radhames Liz pocketed his first win since May 20, allowing three runs and eight hits across five innings of work. Liz (5-4) fanned four and allowed just one walk.
Recently named All-Star Ernesto Frieri recorded three strikeouts in the bottom of the ninth and notched his 16th save for the Beavers (32-51). Cedric Hunter and Sean Kazmar scored two runs apiece in the winning effort.
Manny Mayorson drove in two runs, Brian Dopirak had three doubles and an RBI and J.P. Arencibia hit his 21st home run to lead the 51s (38-46), who out-hit Portland 12-6.
Baxter's two-run triple to left plated Hunter and Kazmar to give the Beavers the lead in the first. Portland added to its lead in the second, as Dusty Ryan reached on a one-out walk and came all the way around to score on a double to left-center by Craig Stansberry.
The 51s answered in their half of the fourth. Arencibia belted a solo shot to left - and Dopirak added a two-out RBI double to trim Portland's lead to 3-2.
Brad Emaus singled to lead off the top of the fifth, eventually moving to third and scoring the tying run on Mayorson's two-out RBI single to right.
With Hunter and Kazmar aboard in the fifth, Baxter hit a single to right that drove in Hunter; Aaron Mathews' misplay of the ball in right allowed Kazmar to come around from first to make it 5-3 in favor of the Beavers.
Las Vegas starter Rommie Lewis (1-3) suffered the loss after yielding five runs (3 earned), four hits and three walks while striking out four over his four-plus innings.
Danny Perales doubled and moved to third on a sac bunt by Mike McCoy to start the seventh. Mayorson's groundout to second was enough to get the 51s to within a run.
The Beavers play host to the 51s Monday night at 7:05 p.m. in the second of a four-game set between the two clubs.
NOTES: The Beavers are 5-5 in July 4 games since the 2001 season ... both teams wore special-edition "Stars and Stripes" caps to celebrate Independence Day. The caps featured the American flag etched into the team cap logos ... with 21 homers, Arencibia is tied for the PCL lead ... Baxter ranks among league leaders in triples with seven ... the victory was followed by a special Fourth of July fireworks show, originating from the boardwalk above center field.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 5, 2010
- Beavers Done In by Errors in 7-6 Loss to 51s - Portland Beavers
- Cubs Prevail over Isotopes and Rain Delays, 7-6 - Iowa Cubs
- Koshansky Homers Twice in Nashville's 10-5 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Express Pummel Memphis, 11-6 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Use 5-Run 6th to Down Royals - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Cubs Postponed Until Tuesday - Iowa Cubs
- Baseball Wives to Visit Zephyr Field - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats Escape with 7-3 Win Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Aces Outfielder Deeds Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - Reno Aces
- U.S. Honor Flag to Make Stop at the Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Strike Zone Exposure Camp July 12 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Set Attendance Record And Fall 10-8 - Reno Aces
- Baxter-Led Beavers Add To The Holiday Festivities With 5-4 Victory - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss