Express Claim 6-5 Win over Dodgers in Extra Innings
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Round Rock Express (58-56) opened its series against the Oklahoma City Dodgers (59-55) with a 6-5 extra-inning victory at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark on Thursday night. 1B Curtis Terry hit a two-run home run in the top of the 10th frame that scored to the eventual game-winning runs.
Round Rock RHP Buck Farmer (2-0, 1.93) earned the night's win with 2.0 innings of relief that saw one unearned run and two strikeouts to close out the contest. Oklahoma City RHP LHP James Pazos (0-6, 3.83) got the loss after allowing the game-winning runs to score during his 1.0-inning relief performance.
The Dodgers got off to a hot start as DH Sheldon Neuse tripled to lead off the bottom of the first inning then scored as 1B Matt Davidson grounded out. With two out, 2B Zach McKinstry hit a double then moved to third on a passed ball. A Cristian Santana single sent McKinstry home for a 2-0 lead.
Oklahoma City added to their lead thanks to a leadoff home run from Davidson in the third that put them up 3-0.
Round Rock evened the game at three apiece in the top of the fourth as LF Steele Walker knocked a one-out single then advanced to third on an Oklahoma City error that also allowed Terry to reach second. Both runners scored when SS Ryan Dorow singled to center field. Dorow was then sent home on a Jack Kruger single for the 3-3 tie.
The Express took their first lead in the sixth inning when 2B Domingo Leyba hit a triple off Dodgers reliever RHP Neftali Feliz and scored thanks to a sacrifice fly from Terry to go up 4-3.
The home team tied the contest back up, this time at 4-4, in the seventh. After Round Rock turned an impressive double play that saw RF Carl Chester make the first out on the warning track, Dodgers RF Luke Raley hit a solo dinger to right-center field for the tie.
Still knotted at four apiece, the Express faced extra innings for the fourth time this season and second against the Dodgers. Leyba started the 10th frame on second base and in the first at-bat, Terry went yard to score them both and give Round Rock a 6-4 advantage.
Oklahoma City came within one in the bottom of the inning as they attempted a comeback. With Neuse starting on second, Davidson hit a one-out single to move his teammate to third base. A McKinstry walk loaded the bases and Santana force out sent Neuse home. After Davidson was tagged out at second on the force out, Farmer finished the inning for the Express with a Tony Wolters groundout, which secured the 6-5 victory.
The two meet for game two at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark on Friday night. Express RHP Collin Wiles (6-2, 4.31) is scheduled to take the mound opposite of Dodgers RHP Austin Bibens-Dirkx (10-5, 4.58). First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. CT.
For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A West League message board...
Triple-A West League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Jonathan Bermudez Shines in Skeeters Win over Albuquerque - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Isotopes Fall to Skeeters Despite Stellar Pitching - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 17, 2021 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Three Isotopes Recognized by Triple-A West Managers, Baseball America - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Continue Championship Chase with 10-8 Series-Opening Win at El Paso (Magic # Is 3) - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Win in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Mathisen goes yard, River Cats drop 5th straight - Sacramento River Cats
- Tacoma Rebounds from Early Deficit to Edge Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Express Claim 6-5 Win over Dodgers in Extra Innings - Round Rock Express
- Vargas Records 200th Aces RBI in 13-10 Loss to Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Shot in 10th Dooms Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Closes out Season with Huge Win over Sugar Land
- Sugar Land Evens Series with 6-1 Victory over Round Rock
- Round Rock Drops First Contest in Sugar Land 4-2
- Express Erases One-Run Deficit to Claim 3-1 Win over Skeeters
- Round Rock Races Past Sugar Land 5-1 in Series Opener