Everett Advances to Western Conference Finals
Tonight at the Everett Events Center the Everett Silvertips sealed the deal with a 6-2 win over the Kelowna Rockets to advance to the Western Conference Finals. This is the second time in three years the Silvertips have made it to the conference finals. Everett wins the series 4-2 against Kelowna.
Peter Mueller started his team off by scoring the first two goals of the game. His first, at 6:16 of the first period, came after he lifted the puck over traffic while the Silvertips had a two man advantage. He followed suit at 12:01 went he caught a pass out in front of the net and slammed it home. Ondrej Fiala scored next at 19:11, on another Everett power play, after he caught a rebound off of Derek Yeomans.
Early in the second John Lammers made it four to zero after he one-timed it from the top of the left circle. Almost three minutes later, on another Silvertip power play at 3:57, Ondrej Fiala caught a feed through the crease where he waited diligently on the doorstep and quickly made it 5-0. Kelowna rebounded with two goals, both from Chris Ray. His first was tallied at 14:54 of the second on a Rocket power play and his second came at 19:38 after he fired a bullet and hit the bottom corner of Leland Irving's net.
The lone goal scored in the third session came off of an empty net tally from Mark Kress at 19:41. Leading the team in assists tonight was Zach Hamill with four. Shaun Heshka had two while Ondrej Fiala, John Lammers, Torrie Wheat and Kyle Beach all had one a piece. Leland Irving was solid once again and turned away 23 of 25 shots. Derek Yeomans started the game in net for the Rockets but was pulled after Everett's fifth goal early in the second period. He made 16 saves on 21 shots. His relief, Kristofer Westblom, finished the game and stopped all 10 shots he faced. On the power play Everett converted on three of seven while Kelowna scored on one of five. The Silvertips out shot the Rockets 32-25.
The Everett Silvertips and the Vancouver Giants will face off for the Conference Title in a best of seven series. Game dates and times will be released soon.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2006
- Giants Weekly Recap - Vancouver Giants
- Everett Advances to Western Conference Finals - Everett Silvertips
- Sleeping Giants No More, Vancouver Rolls to 7-1 Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Five Silvertips invited to NHL Draft Combine - Everett Silvertips
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Silvertips' Offense Dominates Tri-City for 2-1 Series Lead
- Silvertips Edged in Game Two, Series Tied
- Silvertips Hold off Tri-City 3-2 for 1-0 Series Lead
- Three Silvertips Listed Among Top North American Skaters by NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
- Western Conference Player of the Year Carter Hart Named WHL Goaltender of the Week