Ervin Homers to Power 'Tugas over Jays
Dunedin, FL - The Daytona Tortugas (12-11, 48-45) dominance of FSL North opponent Dunedin Blue Jays (11-13, 43-51) continued Sunday evening with another win, 5-3. The Tortugas now have seven wins in 10 games against Dunedin this year, including three at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Four Daytona pitchers combined to allow six hits and three earned runs.
The Tortugas offense put two runners on with no outs in both the first and second innings and were able to get a run across in the second. DH Taylor Sparks led off and reached first on a fielding error. He advanced to second on a single from C Chad Wallach and reached third on a wild pitch. Then a sacrifice fly from 3B Ronald Bueno scored Sparks for the game's first run.
The Blue Jays answered quickly and briefly gave themselves the lead when RHP Jonathon Crawford walked the first two batters he faced in the second and Andy Fermin tripled to score both runs to make it 2-1. However, the Tortugas responded well to their early deficit and quickly reclaimed the lead. In the top of the third, CF Phillip Ervin walked and RF Sebastian Elizalde singled up the middle to center field. Dunedin's center fielder Anthony Alford charged the ball and overran it, allowing Ervin to score all the way from first and putting Elizalde on to third. The next batter, 1B Brian O'Grady, knocked in Elizalde with an RBI groundout and put the Tortugas back in front, 3-2.
In the bottom of the third, Crawford exited the game with one out and was replaced by RHP Scott Brattvet (W, 1-0). Brattvet pitched admirably in the sudden situation and finished the frame effectively. He also went the next 2.1 innings and didn't allow a run while striking out three. LHP Nolan Becker (H, 2) gave up just one hit over the next 1.2 innings and RHP Evan Mitchell closed out the game by getting the final six outs.
The Tortugas added on two more runs to their lead when Bueno was hit by a pitch and 2B Wendell Soto singled to put two men on. Next, SS Carlton Daal knocked an RBI single into centerfield to score Bueno. In the sixth inning, Ervin crushed a ball over the left field fence for a solo homer and put Daytona on top 5-2. Ervin now is back on top of the FSL with 12 home runs on the season. Ervin finished the game 2-4 and two runs scored.
Mitchell also let up a solo homer to Rowdy Tellez in the ninth inning and the Blue Jays made it 5-3 but it wasn't nearly enough to top the Tortugas. The three-game set continues tomorrow with a 6:30 first pitch time. Fans can listen to the action on AM 1230 and AM 1490 WSBB with the D.B. Pickles Pregame Show beginning at 6:15 P.M.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 20, 2015
- Daytona Secures Second Straight Win, 3-2 - Daytona Tortugas
- Harris Collects Three Hits in Win - Clearwater Threshers
- 'Crabs Blank Mets 3-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Late Surge Lifts Marauders over Cardinals - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Slegers Tames Hammerheads, Miracle Edge out 2-1 Victory - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Marauders Get Within One with 5-3 Victory - Bradenton Marauders
- Stone Crabs Shut out Mets 3-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Garrett Cooper Named FSL Player of the Week - Brevard County Manatees
- Monday's Manatees-Yankees Game Postponed - Brevard County Manatees
- Ervin Homers to Power 'Tugas over Jays - Daytona Tortugas
- WWE NXT Stars Invade Tradition Field Wednesday - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders Cap Off Four Game Homestand With Military Appreciation Night, Disability Awareness Night - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.