Harris Collects Three Hits in Win
LAKELAND, Fla. - Chase Harris led the offense with three hits on Monday night, as the Threshers took the series at Lakeland with a 5-3 win over the Flying Tigers at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Cody Forsythe earned the win in relief, as the Threshers bullpen combined to work six scoreless innings. Forsythe (3-2) tossed three hitless frames, permitting a pair of walks while striking out two.
The Threshers got the bats going quickly against Lakeland starter Trent Szkutnik (0-4).
With one out, Harris singled to left-center, and Andrew Pullin drew a five-pitch walk. Rhys Hoskins followed by pulling a base hit through the left side to score Harris with the game's first run.
An out later, Willians Astudillo made it 3-0 by belting a double to left field, bringing both Pullin and Hoskins across.
Lakeland (6-18) worked its way back with a run in the bottom half, and tied it with a pair in the third against Matt Imhof. Curt Powell's RBI single made it a 3-2 game, and a wild pitch would allow Francisco Martinez to score the tying run.
Mitch Walding put the Threshers ahead for good in the fourth. Walding turned on a 2-0 pitch and belted a solo shot over the wall in right for his fourth home run of the season, boosting the Threshers to a 4-3 advantage.
Harris made it 5-3 an inning later, when he beat the drawn-in infield by dropping a single over the head of the second baseman Javier Betancourt to bring home Derek Campbell from third.
The Flying Tigers would bring the tying run to the plate in each of the last four innings, but were held off the board. Ulises Joaquin locked down his 12th save, by tossing a zero in the bottom of the ninth.
Clearwater (17-8) will go for the sweep on Tuesday, as David Whitehead (6-8) takes the hill against Brennan Smith (4-1). First pitch is at 6:30 p.m., and the call can be heard live on the Threshers Broadcast Network starting at 6:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 20, 2015
- Daytona Secures Second Straight Win, 3-2 - Daytona Tortugas
- Harris Collects Three Hits in Win - Clearwater Threshers
- 'Crabs Blank Mets 3-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Late Surge Lifts Marauders over Cardinals - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Slegers Tames Hammerheads, Miracle Edge out 2-1 Victory - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Marauders Get Within One with 5-3 Victory - Bradenton Marauders
- Stone Crabs Shut out Mets 3-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Garrett Cooper Named FSL Player of the Week - Brevard County Manatees
- Monday's Manatees-Yankees Game Postponed - Brevard County Manatees
- Ervin Homers to Power 'Tugas over Jays - Daytona Tortugas
- WWE NXT Stars Invade Tradition Field Wednesday - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders Cap Off Four Game Homestand With Military Appreciation Night, Disability Awareness Night - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.