Stone Crabs Shut out Mets 3-0
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (July 20, 2015) - Three Charlotte pitchers limited the St. Lucie to four hits as the Stone Crabs shut out the Mets 3-0 on Monday at Charlotte Sports Park.
All three of Charlotte's runs came on the long ball. Marty Gantt hit a two-out, two-run homer off of Casey Meisner in the fourth.
On his birthday, Mike Marjama hit a solo shot off of reliever Paul Paez in the sixth.
The Mets had a great chance to put pressure on the Stone Crabs early. In the second inning, Dominic Smith and Stefan Sabol singled. Then Phil Evans was hit by a pitch to load the bases with no outs. Crabs starter Taylor Guerrieri rebounded to strike out Yeixon Ruiz and get Colton Plaia to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Evans would be the last man to reach against Guerrieri, who retired the next 12 batters he faced. Guerrieri allowed two hits in five scoreless innings to get the win. It was his longest outing of the year.
Steve Ascher followed Guerrieri with three scoreless innings. Isaac Gil pitched around a one-out double by Victor Cruzado in the ninth to earn his third save.
Evans led the off the eighth with a double against Ascher to end a streak of 18 Mets in a row being retired. The double extended Evans' hitting streak to eight games.
Meisner only allowed five hits and the two-run home run to Gantt in five innings. He struck out eighth, a season-high with St. Lucie.
The Mets (48-47, 13-12) and Stone Crabs (55-40, 10-15) wrap up their three-game series at Charlotte Sports Park on Tuesday at 7 p.m. The rubber game can be heard on www.stluciemets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 20, 2015
- Daytona Secures Second Straight Win, 3-2 - Daytona Tortugas
- Harris Collects Three Hits in Win - Clearwater Threshers
- 'Crabs Blank Mets 3-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Late Surge Lifts Marauders over Cardinals - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Slegers Tames Hammerheads, Miracle Edge out 2-1 Victory - Fort Myers Miracle
- Marauders Get Within One with 5-3 Victory - Bradenton Marauders
- Stone Crabs Shut out Mets 3-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Garrett Cooper Named FSL Player of the Week - Brevard County Manatees
- Monday's Manatees-Yankees Game Postponed - Brevard County Manatees
- Ervin Homers to Power 'Tugas over Jays - Daytona Tortugas
- WWE NXT Stars Invade Tradition Field Wednesday - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders Cap Off Four Game Homestand With Military Appreciation Night, Disability Awareness Night - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.