Slegers Tames Hammerheads, Miracle Edge out 2-1 Victory
FORT MYERS, Fla. (July 20, 2015) - Aaron Slegers delivered seven strong innings in a 2-1 win for the Fort Myers Miracle over the Jupiter Hammerheads on Monday evening at Hammond Stadium.
Slegers (7-5) held the Hammerheads off the board until the seventh and received offensive support in the third with back-to-back sacrifice flies.
Alex Swim led off the third with a ground ball to shortstop. Justin Bohn misplayed the bouncing ball and Swim reached first on the error. With Mitch Garver at the plate, Swim advanced to second base on a passed ball. Garver then stroked a single up the middle off Jupiter starter Henderson Alvarez to put runners on the corners. Alvarez (0-1) then walked Brett Doe to load the bases.
With a runner at every bag, Ryan Walker lifted a fly ball into left center to drive in Swim on a sacrifice fly. Austin Dean made an over the shoulder catch. As Swim scored, Garver advanced to third base. T.J. White then knocked a 1-1 pitch into right field. Cameron Flynn caught the ball for the second out, but Garver tagged and scored from third, 2-0.
Making a MLB rehabilitation start from the Miami Marlins, Alvarez went three innings and gave up two unearned runs on four hits with two walks.
Facing just two over the minimum through the first six frames, Slegers allowed a run in the ninth. Dean led off with a single through the right side and then advanced to second on a ground out to third by Avery Romero. After Brian Anderson popped up to short, Felix Munoz pulled a double into right field to plate Dean, 2-1.
Slegers exited the game after seven innings with one run surrendered on five hits, no walks and five strikeouts.
Todd Van Steensel took over out of the Miracle bullpen in the eighth and tossed a 1-2-3 innings. Van Steensel remained in the game to work around a one-out single in the ninth and record his 12th save of the season.
The Miracle (52-43, 14-11) face the Hammerheads (43-52, 8-17) in the series rubber match on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. Gates open at 6 p.m. for 2-for-1 Tuesday. Fans can take advantage of buy one, get one tickets, domestic draft beers, fountain sodas and hot dogs. For tickets, call (239) 768-4210 or visit www.miraclebaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 20, 2015
- Daytona Secures Second Straight Win, 3-2 - Daytona Tortugas
- Harris Collects Three Hits in Win - Clearwater Threshers
- 'Crabs Blank Mets 3-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Late Surge Lifts Marauders over Cardinals - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Slegers Tames Hammerheads, Miracle Edge out 2-1 Victory - Fort Myers Miracle
- Marauders Get Within One with 5-3 Victory - Bradenton Marauders
- Stone Crabs Shut out Mets 3-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Garrett Cooper Named FSL Player of the Week - Brevard County Manatees
- Monday's Manatees-Yankees Game Postponed - Brevard County Manatees
- Ervin Homers to Power 'Tugas over Jays - Daytona Tortugas
- WWE NXT Stars Invade Tradition Field Wednesday - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders Cap Off Four Game Homestand With Military Appreciation Night, Disability Awareness Night - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.