Edmonds Strong Performance Isn't Enough in Saginaw
Saginaw, MI - The Mississauga Steelheads wrapped up their two-game weekend taking on the Saginaw Spirit on Saturday evening.
Both teams got off to a quick start, ringing shots off the post to open the game. The Steelheads headed to the powerplay twice in the period, but couldn't capitalize on the man advantage. With 30 seconds left in the frame, Kai Edmonds made a nice save on Jake Goldowski who stepped into the slot to keep the score tied at zero. At the end of the first, Saginaw was outshooting Mississauga 8-2.
The second period got off to a physical start, with both teams seeing the box for after the whistle penalties. Saginaw eventually broke the tie, as a tic-tac-toe passing play was finished by T-Bone Codd crashing the net hard. The Spirit made the score 2-0, as Danny Katic intercepted a pass behind the net and found Cole Coskey in front who beat Edmonds up high. At the end of the second, Edmonds had stopped 22/24 shots on goal (.917 SV%), but the Steelheads headed to the intermission looking for a comeback.
The Steelheads pushed hard in the third, with Ham finding Collins on a 3-on-1, but couldn't beat the outstretched glove of Frappier. With Saginaw taking penalties for high-sticking and tripping, the Steelheads had an opportunity to chip away at the lead, but couldn't manage to find the back of the net. Saginaw would hold on to defeat Mississauga by a score of 2-0. The Fish had a strong push in the third period recording 17 shots on goal.
Kai Edmonds had another strong effort, stopping 28/30 shots on goal (.933 SV%), while Cole Schwindt went 22/32 in the faceoff circle.
Perfetti - Giroux - Cardwell
Katic - Jenkins - Coskey
Duhart - Baber - Goldowski
Bulovs - Codd
Solovyov - King
Millman - Webb
Smith - Busdeker/Mancini
Whittaker - Schwindt - Isaacson
Martin - Washkurak - Collins
Portokalis - Prueter - Hardie
Stubbs - DelBelBelluz - Dodig
Bjorgvik Holm - Harley
Ham - Canade
Penman - Callaghan/Sharpe
The Steelheads will return home next weekend to take on the Sarnia Sting on Friday, November 15th and the Erie Otters on Sunday, November 17th. Tickets to the games can be purchased by visiting the Box Office, online through ticketmaster.ca or by calling 905-502-9100.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Colts Comeback Falls Short against the Otters - Barrie Colts
- Murphy Makes 42 Saves, Otters Defeat Colts 4-2 - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Complete Weekend Sweep with 3-2 Victory Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Attack Fall 4-2 to Knights on Military Appreciation Night - Owen Sound Attack
- Spitfires Fly High in Third - North Bay Battalion
- Edmonds Strong Performance Isn't Enough in Saginaw - Mississauga Steelheads
- Late Major Penalty Helps Storm Defeat Frontenacs - Kingston Frontenacs
- Frappier Earns Second Shutout of Season in 2-0 Win over Steelheads - Saginaw Spirit
- Game Preview: Sting Welcome a Familiar Face as They Host the Batallion - Sarnia Sting
- Diaco Scores First OHL Goal but Wolves Outrun Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Preview: Firebirds Host Greyhounds on Military Appreciation Night Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Callens Scores His First But Fronts Fall to the Petes - Kingston Frontenacs
- Knights Top Battalion with McMichael's Late Tally - London Knights
- Spirit Play Host to Steelheads on Frozen Night - Saginaw Spirit
- Back in 1st Place and 7-1 at Home - Flint Firebirds
- Petes Earn Tenth Road Win with 4-1 Victory in Kingston - Peterborough Petes
- Game Preview: Kingston Frontenacs at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.