Earthquakes Face Austin FC in Historic First Match at Q2 Stadium Tonight
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes (3-5-0; 9 pts.) are in Texas to face Austin FC (2-4-2; 8 pts.) in the first ever MLS match at Q2 Stadium tonight. The match, which is also the first ever meeting between San Jose and Austin, kicks off at 6:00 p.m. PT and will be broadcast nationally on UniMás and TUDN and aired via radio on KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
After consecutive off weekends, San Jose returns to action with two away matches in a four-day span, following up tonight's match with a Tuesday showdown at Orlando City SC.
Today's match marks the Quakes' third this season against an opponent from the Lone Star State, having lost to Houston Dynamo FC 2-1 on the road on April 16 and defeating FC Dallas 3-1 at home on April 24. The Earthquakes will also face an MLS expansion side for the first time since May 4, 2019, which saw them earn a 1-0 victory over FC Cincinnati at PayPal Park.
Austin, which is in their inaugural MLS season, currently sits 10th in the Western Conference, one point below San Jose. After a five-match winless streak (0-3-2), the Texas side will seek to change their fortunes in their home stadium debut. Austin FC is led by MLS veterans Matt Besler and Diego Fagundez, as well as Designated Players Cecilio Dominguez and Tomás Pochettino. Dominguez, a former Club America forward, leads his team with three goals this season.
Tonight's historic meeting will also see the Earthquakes face former players Danny Hoesen, Nick Lima, and Andrew Tarbell. The match will mark Hoesen and Lima's first ever match against the Quakes since their departures from San Jose prior to the 2021 MLS season. Additionally, San Jose will have midfielder Jackson Yueill available for selection after helping the United States win the inaugural Concacaf Nations League title.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 19, 2021
- Sporting KC Falls 2-1 in Portland - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Fall 2-1 at Home to Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday Night - LA Galaxy
- Austin FC Earns Another Point with 0-0 Draw against the San Jose Earthquakes - Austin FC
- Sounders FC Captures 2-1 Comeback Victory at LA Galaxy, Remaining Unbeaten in 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Inter Miami CF at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Tie Austin FC in Inaugural Outing at Q2 Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Draws 1-1 with Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Loons Earn a Point on the Road in Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Toronto FC (2) - Orlando City SC (3) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Revs Extend Win Streak to Four Games in 3-2 Victory over New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Júnior Urso Nets Game-Winner in Lions' 3-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- Rapids Earn Another Big Road Win with 2-0 Victory in Cincinnati - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-0 to Columbus Crew SC - Chicago Fire FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 3 New England Revolution - New York City FC
- Nashville SC Teams up with MLS and Mayor John Cooper to Get Nashville Vaccinated against COVID-19ÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Storylines: City vs. Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Austin FC in Historic First Match at Q2 Stadium Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- New Mini-Soccer Pitch Opens at Harlem's Colonel Charles Young Playground - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew Bids Farewell to Historic Crew Stadium against Chicago Fire FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Claim 3-1 Win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Real Salt Lake
- RSL score late to edge 'Caps in battle of Rio Tinto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Jeremy Ebobisse in Trade with Portland Timbers
- Quakes extend unbeaten streak to six, Chofis scores fourth MLS goal
- Earthquakes Face the Portland Timbers Tonight
- Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Selected to MLS All-Star Team
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 2, 2021