Earthquakes Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 MLS Season
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has exercised 2020 contract options on three players: goalkeeper Matt Bersano; defender Paul Marie; and midfielder Jackson Yueill.
The Earthquakes will not exercise options on three players: defenders Francois Affolter, Jimmy Ockford and Kevin Partida.
The following players held guaranteed contracts for the 2020 season: goalkeepers JT Marcinkowski and Andrew Tarbell; defenders Jacob Akanyirige, Guram Kashia , Nick Lima and Marcos Lopez; midfielders Magnus Eriksson, Luis Felipe , Carlos Fierro, Siad Haji and Vako; and forwards Cade Cowell , Danny Hoesen and Andy Rios.
Eric Calvillo , Gilbert Fuentes, Florian Jungwirth, Shea Salinas, Tommy Thompson , Daniel Vega and Chris Wondolowski either received new contracts or had their 2020 options automatically vest by reaching certain performance thresholds during the 2019 season.
Defender Harold Cummings is out of contract following the 2019 season and the season-long loan of midfielder Cristian Espinoza from Spain's Villarreal CF has expired. Discussions for a permanent transfer of Espinoza are ongoing.
Midfielder Judson, who spent the 2019 season on loan from Brazil's Tombense, was acquired on a permanent transfer and signed to a multi-year contract. The Quakes signed goalkeeper Emi Ochoa and defender Casey Walls to Homegrown Player contracts this offseason. San Jose also traded midfielder Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC for $650,000 of General Allocation Money, effective Jan. 1, 2020.
The San Jose Earthquakes current roster heading into 2020, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (5): Matt Bersano,JT Marcinkowski (HG), Emi Ochoa (HG), Andrew Tarbell, Daniel Vega
Defenders (8): Jacob Akanyirige (HG), Florian Jungwirth, Guram Kashia, Nick Lima (HG), Marcos Lopez, Paul Marie, Tommy Thompson (HG), Casey Walls (HG)
Midfielders (10): Eric Calvillo, Magnus Eriksson, Luis Felipe, Carlos Fierro, Gilbert Fuentes (HG), Siad Haji, Judson, Vako, Shea Salinas, Jackson Yueill
Forwards (4): Cade Cowell (HG), Danny Hoesen, Andy Rios, Chris Wondolowski
All out-of-contract players are eligible for either the End-of-Year Waivers Process, Re-Entry Process, or Free Agency depending on age and service time within the league.
Free Agency begins at noon PT on Monday, Nov. 25. Free Agency eligible players are out-of-contract and option-declined players who are at least 28 years old and who have completed a minimum of eight service years.
The End-of-Year Waivers process is conducted on Monday, Nov. 25 at noon PT. It will be held in reverse order of 2019 season finish, taking into account postseason performance. Per the Expansion Priority Draft, Nashville SC will have the 25th pick and Inter Miami CF will have the final selection in each round. Eligible for selection are players who do not meet the minimum requirements for Re-Entry Process or Free Agency.
Stage One of the Re-Entry Process will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 26 at noon PT and Stage Two of the Re-Entry Process will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 3 at noon PT. The Re-Entry Process is conducted in reverse order of 2019 season finish, taking into account postseason performance. Per the Expansion Priority Draft, Nashville SC will have the 25th pick and Inter Miami CF will have the final selection in each round.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes will exercise 2020 contract options on GK Matt Bersano, D Paul Marie and M Jackson Yueill. Earthquakes will not exercise 2020 contract options on D Francois Affolter , D Jimmy Ockford and D Kevin Partida.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 21, 2019
- Dynamo Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 Season - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Exercises Contract Option on CJ Sapong and Raheem Edwards - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Announces Roster Moves Following Record-Breaking Season - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC 2019 Season-End Roster Update - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Announces 2019 End-Of-Season Roster Decisions - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 MLS Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, Thorns FC Recognized by Portland Business Journal with Commercial Real Estate Transformer Award - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Toronto FC
- LAFC Foundation Receives $10,000 Donation through Allstate's "Save of the Match" Program - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce Roster Status Ahead of 2020 Season - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Winter Wonderland Packs Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Announce Roster Decisions Ahead of 2020 MLS Season - LA Galaxy
- Impact Exercises Options for 11 Players - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Announce Year-End Roster Moves - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Reveals New Primary Badge and Brand Identity Ahead of Move to Soldier Field in 2020 - Chicago Fire
- Claudio Reyna Departs New York City FC to Join Austin FC; Technical Director David Lee Promoted to Sporting Director - New York City FC
- Sporting KC Announces Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 Season - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- San Jose Earthquakes Score Big with Intermedia Cloud Communications Partnership
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 13, 2020
- Earthquakes Announce Staffing Updates for 2020
- Earthquakes Select Stanford Defender Tanner Beason in First Round of 2020 MLS SuperDraft