Dust Devils Complete Sweep of Bears Tuesday
The Yakima Bears dropped a 6-3 decision to the Tri-City Dust Devils Tuesday night at Yakima County Stadium in the first game of the second half of the Northwest League season. The loss gave the Dust Devils the three-game series sweep, both the first time the Dust Devils had swept a team this season and the first time the Bears had been swept this season.
Both teams were held scoreless for the first four innings of the game. In the fifth, the Dust Devils manufactured two runs off of three hits and two sacrifices. Tri-City added another run with back-to-back two-out hits in the sixth inning before the Bears pulled starter Alex Capaul.
Capaul suffered his first loss of the season, as he allowed three runs in six innings. In the quality start, Capaul allowed no walks and also had no strikeouts.
In relief, Adam Osteen struggled for the Bears in the seventh inning. Osteen faced eight batters and only recorded two outs. He finished with three earned runs allowed, but it could have been much worse, as he left the bases loaded. Sammy De Los Santos stranded all three of those base runners in the seventh and finished the game with two and a third scoreless innings.
After the Bears had fallen behind 6-0, the offense finally came to life in the seventh inning. Consecutive singles from Steve Rodriguez and Kerry Jenkins were followed by a passed ball and a run scoring groundout by Raul Navarro get the Bears on the scoreboard. Those two would also record hits in the ninth inning when the Bears scored two more runs. After Tyler Bream led off with a single, Rodriguez hit a single, Jenkins doubled to plate Bream, and a groundout by Narodowski brought Rodriguez home.
The Bears were outhit just 11-10 in the loss, with each team only recording one extra-base hit. Both Jenkins and Rodriguez finished 2-for-4, while Carter Bell ended the night 2-for-5.
The Bears are now 0-1 in the second half of the Northwest League season. The Bears are on the road for the next five games. All five games in the road trip are at Salem-Keizer. The first game is scheduled for 6:35 Wednesday night. Expected to pitch are lefty John Pedrotty of the Bears and Reinier Roibal of the Volcanoes.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 27, 2011
- Everett Loses 8-6 to Homer Happy Hawks - Everett AquaSox
- Three Homers Pace Hawks to Win - Boise Hawks
- Tri-City Walks To Series Opening Victory Over C's - Vancouver Canadians
- Tri-City Tallies Win in Series Opener - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Indians Drop Series Opener to Emeralds 3-2 - Spokane Indians
- Close Road Game Ends as a Loss for Bears - Yakima Bears
- Dust Devils to Host Games Two and Three of NWL Division Series - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Yankees Legend to Appear at Volcanoes Stadium - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Dust Devils Complete Sweep of Bears Tuesday - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.