Dubuque Scores Four First-Period Goals, Wins Game Three 5-1
MUSKEGON, MI - The Dubuque Fighting Saints scored four first-period goals in game three of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, forcing game four Wednesday night in Dubuque.
Coming into Tuesday night's game, Muskegon owned a 2-0 series lead and had outscored Dubuque 9-1 in games one and two combined. Game three was a different story, as the Fighting Saints scored less than three minutes into the game, and added on three more in the opening period, eventually skating away with a 5-1 win.
JD Greenway exploded for two goals and two assists after he was held without a point in games one and two. Greenway started the scoring with a fluky goal that beat Brandon Bussi, and the Saints never looked back.
Each of the Jackson brothers scored for the Saints, who owned a five-goal lead after two periods.
Cam McDonald scored the only Lumberjacks goal early in period three, with Ryan Savage and Oliver MacDonald drawing assists. Midway through the third frame, Muskegon appeared to score a second goal, but it was waved off because the puck was deflected by a high stick.
Muskegon continues to outshoot the Saints, piling up 44 shots on Dubuque goalie Matthew Thiessen. Thiessen stopped all but one, however, and the Saints are now one victory away from tying the series and forcing game five.
In total, Muskegon has outshot Dubuque 125-67 in the series.
The third period was a rocky one for both teams, as nine misconduct penalties were handed out by officials Kody Helbig and Nolan Bloyer. Five of those went against Muskegon, and Greenway picked up two misconducts against him.
In total, the teams combined for 150 penalty minutes, but Dubuque scored the only power-play goal. Muskegon's power play went 0-for-7.
Game four in Dubuque will be played Wednesday, April 24, at 8:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 24, 2019
- Jacks Advance to Conference Finals with 2-1 Win over Dubuque - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Muskegon Ends Dubuque's Season in Game Four with 2-1 Win - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel Advance to Eastern Conference Final - Chicago Steel
- Anderson on to LA - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Christian Berger Named to USHL All-Academic Team - Madison Capitols
- Pair of RoughRiders Named to All-USHL Teams - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Ryan Hardy Named USHL General Manager of the Year - Chicago Steel
- Ryan Hardy Named USHL General Manager of the Year - USHL
- Stampede Overpower Waterloo in Game 3 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Storm Sweep Des Moines, Advance to Western Conference Final - Tri-City Storm
- Dubuque Scores Four in First, Forces Game Four with 5-1 Win - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Dubuque Scores Four First-Period Goals, Wins Game Three 5-1 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Muskegon Lumberjacks Stories
- Lumberjacks Grab 3 of 4 Points in Weekend Split with Chicago, Fall in OT at Home
- Berg Scores Twice, Lumberjacks Break Three-Game Losing Streak with a 6-4 Win over First-Place Chicago
- Lumberjacks Get Three Goals from the New Guys, But Still Fall 8-6 to Team USA U-17 Squad
- Lumberjacks Add Solid Defenseman Grant Docter in Another Whirlwind Trade
- Lumberjacks Looking Forward to Holiday Homestand