Drillers add Mackey to coaching staff
BEAUMONT, TX -- Former NFL and Arena League quarterback Kyle Mackey has joined the Beaumont Drillers coaching staff for the remainder of the season.
"He brings an extensive knowledge of the offensive side of the ball," said Driller head coach Bryan Blake. "He played Arena Football and in the NFL, he knows the game really well. The fact the he played professionally will be a tremendous attribute in itself."
Mackey, a native of Alpine, TX, played collegiate football at East Texas State, now Texas A&M-Commerce. His freshman year at quarterback, he was back-up to Wade Wilson, who went on to play in the NFL for Minnesota, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas and Oakland and is currently the quarterback coach for the Chicago Bears. Mackey was a starter the next three years. To add to his accolades, Mackey will be inducted to the Texas A&M-Commerce Hall of Fame in October.
In his pro career, Mackey was drafted in the 11th round of the NFL Draft in 1984 by the St. Louis Cardinals. After a short-stint with the Cardinals, we went on to Philadelphia and then landed in Miami, starting for the Dolphins during the strike season of 1987. That year, he passed for 604 yards on 57 of 109 attempts with 3 TDs and 5 INTs. He later signed with the New York Jets in 1989 and was 11 of 25 for 125 yards.
He then turned his attention to the Arena Football League, and signed with the Albany Firebirds (now Indiana Firebirds) finishing the season 80 for 171 for 894 yards with 12 TDs and 11 INTs. He then played for the Fort Worth Calvary from 1990-1994. His best season was in '94 throwing for 1,359 yards on 107 for 175 passes with 22 TDs with only 3 INTs.
"It is a fun and exciting game," said Mackey. "The Drillers have some good players and I think we can make a run at this thing."
Mackey is currently a football coach at Silsbee, TX, High School.
The Drillers (7-4) face first place Houma (8-2) on Saturday at the Terrebone Civic Center at 7 p.m. The Drillers return home for their regular season finale on July 3 hosting the Evansville Bluecats.
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from June 9, 2004
- Emmett Whites Record Setting Night Earns Him Player of the Week - Utah Warriors
- Johnson takes it one day at a time - Omaha Beef
- Two Drillers sweep NIFL weekly honors - Beaumont Drillers
- NIFL Announces Players of the Week - NIFL
- Former Lincoln Bumblee & Driller named to All-NFL Europe team - Beaumont Drillers
- Diesel Add Four to Roster - Tri-City Diesel
- Drillers add Mackey to coaching staff - Beaumont Drillers
- Sharks Add Kicker for Playoff Push - Atlantic City CardSharks
- Bucks to host the Beaumont Drillers - Houma Bayou Bucks
- Diesel Hit the Road to Lincoln - Tri-City Diesel
- Between the walls - OSC Original by Josh Stein
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.