Dowling Returns, Merchant Released Caamano Signed to Tryout
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Dallas Stars General Manager Jim Nill announced today that the club has reassigned forward Justin Dowling to the Texas Stars, Dallas' top development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL). The Texas Stars also released forward Will Merchant from his professional tryout agreement and signed forward Nick Caamano to an amateur tryout agreement.
Dowling, 26, has recorded two assists (0-22) in seven games for Dallas this season. He has also registered 28 points (8-2028) in 49 AHL contests with Texas. The 5-foot-10, 185-pound native of Cochrane, Alta. went undrafted and was originally signed by Dallas as a free agent.
Merchant, 23, began the season in training camp with Texas before being returned to the Idaho Steelheads, the ECHL affiliate of the Stars. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound forward has tallied 48 points (21-2748) in 66 games this season with Idaho. The Eagan, Minn. native made his AHL debut with Texas on April 2 against the Milwaukee Admirals.
Caamano, 18, is joining Texas after finishing his third overall season in the junior-level Ontario Hockey League, and his second with the Flint Firebirds. The 6-foot-2, 191-pound native of Ancaster, Ontario tallied 64 points (35-2964) in 67 games for the Firebird.
Caamano was a fifth-round pick of Dallas (146th overall) in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and are currently playing their eighth season at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park. Full season, 24-game, 12-game and six-game ticket packages for the 2016-17 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2017
- Week 25 Report - Rockford IceHogs
- Ricoh Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Bring Momentum Home After Historic Roadtrip - Stockton Heat
- Avalanche Recall Forward Rocco Grimaldi and Defenseman Duncan Siemens - San Antonio Rampage
- Dowling Returns, Merchant Released Caamano Signed to Tryout - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Joel Vermin from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Weekly Schedule - April 3 - Rochester Americans
- Gervais Earns Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Wotherspoon Reassigned to Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Announce Sanfilippo Awareness Night - Utica Comets
- Tom McCollum Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Charlotte Checkers
- Djoos, Jankowski, McCollum Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for March - AHL
- Condors Sign Gambardella and Mantha to ATOs - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolves Roundup: April 3-9, 2017 - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Report: Week 25 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 'Canes Recall Bickell, Poturalski from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Evgeny Svechnikov - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Joel Vermin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Recall Connor and Roslovic from Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Sabres Recall Forward Nylander - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.