Donovan Slams Chiefs to First July Win
Peoria, IL - The Peoria Chiefs scored six runs in the fourth inning and went on to beat the Great Lakes Loons 7-4 Saturday night, falling one loss short of tying the franchise-record for consecutive losses set in July of 1999. Brendan Donovan had a grand slam and a double to go 2-for-4 with two runs scored and four RBI and was named the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
Down 3-0 after the top of the fourth, the Chiefs came out swinging against Robinson Ortiz. Brandon Riley's one-out double put runners on second and third and Bryce Denton walked to load the bases. Brandon Benson walked to force home Ivan Herrera and get the Chiefs on the board. Mark Washington came into the game for Great Lakes and walked Edwin Figuera to force in another run. Donovan gave the Chiefs the lead for good with his seventh homer of the season, a grand slam to left to put the hosts up 6-3.
With the Loons shut down by Eli Kraus, the Chiefs added on in the seventh. Donovan doubled off the wall in right and scored on a two-out single up the middle by Brady Whalen for a 7-3 Chiefs lead. Kraus picked up the win and Parker Kelly finished off Great Lakes in a non-save situation.
The Chiefs continue their six-game homestand Sunday, July 14 with a 5:05 p.m. start against Great Lakes. The Princess & Pirate Night promotion included Tiaras/Wand and Pirate Swords giveaway to the first 500 kids 12 and under plus appearances by Princesses & Pirates from A Royal Remembrance. Monday, July 15 is an 11:05 a.m. game with Splash Day and half-price tickets.
Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change. Sunday's broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 4:50 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.tv to subscribers.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2019
- LumberKings Come from Behind For 5-4 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Davis Steals Opener from River Bandits with Walk-Off Homer in 10th - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Ganan el Juego de Beisbol - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Come Back to Sting Bees in 10 - Lake County Captains
- Kernels Spoil De Paula's Return, 12-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Great Lakes Downed by Donovan Granny - Great Lakes Loons
- Donovan Slams Chiefs to First July Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers and Hot Rods Start, but Can't Finish - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snyder Leads Kernels in 12-4 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods And Timber Rattlers Suspended on Saturday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Davis Hits Walk-Off Home Run to Lead Cubs Past Bandits in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers fall in Series Opener against Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Earn Fourth Shutout Victory of 2019 Season with 3-0 Win over Beloit - Dayton Dragons
- De Paula Rejoins Lugnuts, Will Start Tonight - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 13 at Clinton (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- RHP Luis De Paula transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Late-Inning Heroics Complete Sweep over Bowling Green - Beloit Snappers
- 'Caps Drop Series Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lugnuts Sweep Away Peoria, 8-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.