Dogs Handle Business, Defeat Cleburne 6-2
Rosemont, Ill. - A strong start from Josh Goossen-Brown pushed the Dogs to their third consecutive series victory as they defeated the Cleburne Railroaders 6-2 in the rubber match of a three-game set Sunday at Impact Field.
In his tenth start of the year, Goossen-Brown tossed seven innings of one-run ball, striking out five, and allowing just five hits. The Chicago right-hander earned his second consecutive victory and pitched at least six innings for the four straight start.
Cleburne's lone run against Goossen-Brown came in the top of the first inning. After a Trevor Sealey walk and an Angel Rosa single began the frame for the Railroaders, Patrick Palmeiro drove Sealey in with a ground out.
The Dogs answered with a tally of their own in the home half of the frame. Edwin Arroyo extended his season-long hitting streak to 12 games, scoring Kenny Wilson with an RBI double.
Chicago tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the second on sacrifice flies from Michael Baca and Wilson, and then three more in the bottom of the fifth inning, thanks to a two-run home run from Treysen Vavra.
The long ball snapped an 0-11 skid for Vavra-his longest of the year-and was his ninth long ball of the season.
Rosa cut the Dogs lead to 6-2 with a solo home run in the eighth inning, but Brandon Shimo and Tommy Thorpe combined for the final five outs to give the Dogs the series win.
Chicago moves to 18-29 on the year with the victory, while Cleburne falls to 17-29 with the defeat.
The Dogs will host the league-leading Sioux City Explorers for three games beginning Monday at Impact Field.
Follow the team on social media at @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 8, 2018
- Well-Rounded Effort Lifts Saltdogs to 6-3 Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Trouble at the Bottom, Saints Lose 6-3 to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Solomon Shuts Down Goldeyes for Series Sweep - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Birds Comeback Falls Short in Series Finale with Gary - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Minor, 'Cats Snap Four-Game Losing Streak with 6-4 Win over Canaries - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Bullpen Exhausted, Fish Fall 8-2 in RedHawks Series Finale - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Handle Business, Defeat Cleburne 6-2 - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Drop Series in Chicago - Cleburne Railroaders
- Meng Weiqiang Proving Key on the Mound for the AirHogs - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1