Dibrell Delivers Six Sharp Innings on Tuesday Night
COLUMBIA, SC - Tony Dibrell's pitching performance captured the audience at Spirit Communications Park on Tuesday night. The 2017 Mets fourth round draft pick tossed six innings, allowed just one hit, and struck out 10 batters. Despite the strong outing, the Fireflies fell 3-1 to the Power in 10 innings.
Dibrell started his 18th game of the season and tonight was the 14th time he absorbed just two earned runs or fewer. The 22-year-old has recorded 10 or more strikeouts in a game three times this year. He leads the club with 120 punchouts and that's just 14 shy of the single-season franchise record (RHP Joe Shaw - 134 K, 2016).
Darwin Ramos entered the contest in the seventh and was also sharp on the mound. The righty delivered three scoreless frames and registered four strikeouts. At one point - from the third to the ninth - Dibrell and Ramos retired 18 consecutive batters.
Bottom 1: Scott Manea doubled and scored Matt Winaker. COL 1 | WV 0
Top 2: Jhoan Herrera knocked in Fabricio Macias with a double. COL 1 | WV 1
Top 10: Robbie Glendinning and Macias each produced run-scoring triples. WV 3 | COL 1
Manea, Dionis Paulino, and Rigoberto Terrazas each posted a pair of hits for Columbia.
These two squads battle in the series finale on Wednesday night at Spirit Communications Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and you can listen to the action starting at 6:45 on FOX SPORTS Radio 1400 AM or online at columbiafireflies.com. RHP Zac Grotz (1-4, 6.53) is on the mound for Columbia and West Virginia starts RHP Sergio Cubilete (3-4, 5.23).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 31, 2018
- Stellar Sulser Carries Power to 3-1 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Dibrell Delivers Six Sharp Innings on Tuesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Late Rally Fuels 'Claws Past 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Powered by Pratto and Matias, Legends Take Game Two over Suns - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Launch Four Homers to Hand RiverDogs Fifth Straight Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win 5th Straight with 3-1 Victory at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Dads Beat Charleston in Grand Style - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Defeat Tourists in Tuesday's Opener; Game Two Suspended - Greenville Drive
- Suns Fall 4-1 Tuesday Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Rain Postpones Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 31 vs. West Virginia (Game 104) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Announce Otterline as Director of Operations - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 31) - West Virginia Power
- Minor League Baseball Continues to Promote Acceptance and Inclusion Through 'MiLB CommUNITY' Initiative - SAL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.