BlueClaws Win 5th Straight with 3-1 Victory at Delmarva
SALISBURY, MD - Dalton Guthrie's ninth inning SAC fly broke a 1-1 tie and Zach Warren struck out the last three hitters with the tying run on base as the BlueClaws topped Delmarva 3-1 on Tuesday to win their fifth straight game.
The BlueClaws (26-12/67-40) have now won five in a row, nine out of 10, and 16 out of 20. They finished July at 19-8, their second most wins in a month over the last 10 seasons, with only the 2016 team going 20-10 in August. Lakewood has now won 13 of 18 against Delmarva (19-18/54-49) including the first two games of this series.
Guthrie's SAC fly brought home Rodolfo Duran, who led off the inning with a walk, to put the BlueClaws up 2-1. Matt Vierling followed with an RBI single for a 3-1 lead. Both runs were charged to Delmarva's Nick Vespi (4-4), the first two runs he's allowed since June 14th.
Lakewood now has six wins since last Monday in which they trailed in the seventh inning or later. They also finish July at 19-8, only the second time in the last 10 years they've won 19 games in a month (the 2016 BlueClaws went 20-10 in August).
Zach Warren gave up a hit and walk to start the bottom of the ninth but struck out the next three hitters to end the game and earn his ninth save. Eight of his nine saves have come in the second half, when he's allowed one run in 14.2 innings pitched.
Tyler Fallwell (1-0), who threw two scoreless innings, earned his first win as a member of the Phillies organization.
Delmarva got a run in the sixth off Ismael Cabrera to take a 1-0 lead. A lead-off single by Branden Becker set up the Birds, and Becker came home on a SAC fly from Trevor Craport to get the game's first run.
The BlueClaws answered off Cameron Ming in the seventh. Nick Maton drew a walk to start the inning and scored on an RBI double from Guthrie to tie the game.
Lakewood starter Spencer Howard threw three scoreless innings while Shorebirds starter DL Hallthrew four, but neither starter factored in the decision.
Quincy Nieporte had two hits in the win for the BlueClaws.
The teams finish their series on Wednesday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Damon Jones (7-5) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Jhon Peluffo (3-6).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 31, 2018
- Stellar Sulser Carries Power to 3-1 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Dibrell Delivers Six Sharp Innings on Tuesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Late Rally Fuels 'Claws Past 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Powered by Pratto and Matias, Legends Take Game Two over Suns - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Launch Four Homers to Hand RiverDogs Fifth Straight Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win 5th Straight with 3-1 Victory at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Dads Beat Charleston in Grand Style - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Defeat Tourists in Tuesday's Opener; Game Two Suspended - Greenville Drive
- Suns Fall 4-1 Tuesday Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Rain Postpones Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 31 vs. West Virginia (Game 104) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Announce Otterline as Director of Operations - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 31) - West Virginia Power
- Minor League Baseball Continues to Promote Acceptance and Inclusion Through 'MiLB CommUNITY' Initiative - SAL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.