Diablos' Bullpen Shuts Down AirHogs to Earn Series Win
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Four El Paso Diablos relief pitchers combined to allow no runs on two hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings on Thursday, as the Diablos absorbed a comeback attempt from the Grand Prairie AirHogs to win 8-6 at QuikTrip Park and win the series two of three.
For the second day in a row, El Paso (26-36) scored two runs in the first inning, this time on three straight two-out hits against Nick DeBarr (10-4) by Mitch Einertson, Welington Dotel and Jermy Acey. Grand Prairie (40-25) got that run back on David Thomas's solo home run to left in the bottom of the first, but the heart of the Diablos order got five straight hits in the third score four and go up 6-1.
The AirHogs took four of those back in the third, with three straight doubles with two outs by Andres Rodriguez, Greg Porter and Chris McMurray. But on Trent Lockwood's single, McMurray was thrown out at the plate by Dotel to end the inning and keep the Diablos on top.
An RBI double by Keanon Simon tied the game in the bottom of the fourth, but when starter Steven Evarts was replaced by former AirHog Ramon Garcia (1-2) the Grand Prairie offense dried up.
The Diablos quickly re-took the lead in the sixth, when Patrick Arlis singled and JJ Muse doubled, before a two-out single by Reid Fronk made it 8-6.
Garcia got the last two outs of the fourth while preventing Simon from scoring, before retiring all three in the fifth and two in the sixth. He then walked Yasutsugu Nishimoto and was replaced by Ronny Morla, who struck out Simon to end the inning and pitched a three-batter seventh, getting an unusual double play when batter's interference was called on Andres Rodriguez when he struck out and was ruled to have Arlis's throw to get Brian Myrow.
Tim Adleman worked around a leadoff single to get the next two outs in the eighth, and closer Marcel Prado was called upon to get four outs and did, erasing a leadoff single in the ninth with the help of a double play to get his 10th save of the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 26, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Diablos' Bullpen Shuts Down AirHogs to Earn Series Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos beat Grand Prairie - El Paso Diablos
- T-Bones Lose Despite Great Pitching from Rainwater - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Manage Just Two Hits, But Win 3-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Sox Shutout Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Two Out Rally Pushes RedHawks Past Pheasants 8-4 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Errors Costly in Pheasants Loss to Fargo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Hot Weather Deal Is on for Upcoming Homestand - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Swept by Capitales - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Add Bailey to the Bullpen - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Hey Ladies! Saints Host Girls Night out July 28 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs