Detroit Signs Porter to One-Year Contract
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday signed forward Kevin Porter to a one-year contract.
A native of Northville, Mich., Porter, 28, split the last two seasons between the Buffalo Sabres and the AHL's Rochester Americans. In 98 regular season games with Rochester, Porter picked up 80 points (34-46 - 80) and 62 penalty minutes, while collecting 10 points (4-6 - 10) and 12 PIM in 43 matches with Buffalo. Porter, an eight-year pro, has played with numerous NHL clubs, including the Phoenix Coyotes, the Colorado Avalanche and the Sabres, for a total of 55 points (29-26 - 55) and 60 PIM in 206 career NHL games.
Phoenix's fourth choice (119th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Porter has skated in 196 career AHL games between the San Antonio Rampage, Lake Erie Monsters and Americans and has earned 156 points (63-93 - 156) and 109 PIM. The 5-foot-9, 191-pound forward was an AHL All-Star when he served as Rochester's captain in 2012-13.
Prior to turning pro, Porter spent four seasons at the University of Michigan from 2004-08, earning 183 points (85-98 - 183) and 115 penalty minutes in 162 games. Porter also helped the Wolverines to two CCHA championships in 2005 and 2008. In his final season with the Wolverines, he earned the CCHA Player of the Year Award and the Hobey Baker Award as the top player in college hockey.
Group tickets for eight guaranteed home dates at Van Andel Arena are now on sale along with 2014-15 season ticket packages. Single-game tickets will go on sale to the public in September. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 1, 2014
- Detroit Signs Porter to One-Year Contract - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Forward Chris Conner Signs on for 2014-2015 - Hershey Bears
- Lightning Sign Free Agent Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov - Syracuse Crunch
- Lightning Sign Free Agent Center Brian Boyle - Syracuse Crunch
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Matt Hunwick - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Cedrick Desjardins - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Steven Kampfer - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Chris Mueller - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Defenseman Mike Kostka - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Coyotes Sign Goaltender Devan Dubnyk to a One-Year Contract - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Sign Goaltender Joey Macdonald to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Defensemen Jon Landry, Mike Moore Signed for 2014-2015 - Hershey Bears
- Kings Sign Cracknell and Van der Gulik - Manchester Monarchs
- Blackhawks Agree to Terms with Three - Rockford IceHogs
- Lightning Sign Free Agent RW Mike Blunden to One-Year Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Lightning Sign Defenseman Anton Stralman to Five-Year Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Kevin Kaminski to Appear on the Big Jab 96.3 - Portland Pirates
- Stothers Hired as Head Coach of the Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Lightning Re-Sign Mike Angelidis - Syracuse Crunch
- Capitals Re-Sign Michael Latta - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Stars Acquire Jason Spezza from Ottawa Senators - Texas Stars
- Wings Sign Mrazek to One-Year Extension - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Red Wings Sign Riley Sheahan to New Two-Year Contract - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League, Clubs Give Back to Their Communities - AHL
- Griffins Sign Berschbach - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.