Desperate Blazers Down Cougars
PRINCE GEORGE, BC - The Prince George Cougars were five and half minutes away from finishing their season on a winning note, but the Kamloops Blazers strung together more late game magic, in a stunning 4-2 come from behind win at the CN Centre.
The Cougars' Cole Moberg broke a 1-1 tie with a short-handed goal with under five and half minutes left in the third period, sending the over 5,100 fans into a frenzy. However, the Blazers wasted little time responding and celebration was quickly muted.
Kamloops answered right back, as Jermaine Loewen made it 2-2 just 15-seconds after Moberg's goal. Connor Zary then scored the game winner on a breakaway, short-handed, with just 2:45 left in regulation. Loewen added an empty-net goal inside the final minute to seal it.
The two teams combined to score four goals in just over four-minutes in the third period. They produced just two goals through 54-minutes prior to that.
The dramatic win kept the Blazers' playoff hopes alive, as they will play the Kelowna Rockets in a Tie-Breaker game on Tuesday night. The Rockets beat the Vancouver Giants 3-2 in overtime Saturday. The winner moves on to play the Victoria Royals in the opening round of the WHL playoffs.
Vladislav Mikhalchuk scored in the second period, his 25th goal of the season, as he finished the season on a three-game goal scoring streak. He had four goals and seven points in the final three games of the season to help him reach he 50-point threshold. Taylor Gauthier suffered the loss in goal, turning aside 21 of 24 shots.
The Blazers Connor Zary recorded his second consecutive three-point game, as he had six points in the weekend doubleheader. 20-year-old Jermaine Loewen scored twice for Kamloops and Kobe Mohr had the other goal. Dylan Garand stopped 29 of 31 shots in the Blazers' crease.
Saturday was the final games in the WHL for 20-year-olds Josh Curtis, Joel Lakusta and Mike MacLean. Curtis Captain the team in his fourth season and final season. Lakusta was an Alternate Captain and he too played four seasons with the Cougars. MacLean played two seasons in the WHL split between Seattle and Prince George.
The Cougars wrap up the 2018-19 season on Sunday morning with their annual Awards Brunch banquet at the Prince George Civic Centre. Nine awards will be handed out, as the Cougars recognize individual accomplishments and milestones from the 2018-19 WHL season.
First Period No Scoring.
Blazers [1-0] Kobe Mohr (9) from Quinn Schmeimann, Connor Zary 8:48
Cougars [1-1] Vladislav Mikhalchuk (25) from Cole Moberg, Josh Curtis
Cougars [2-1] Cole Moberg (13) from Tyson Upper 14:39 SH
Blazers [2-2] Jermaine Loewen (27) from Connor Zary, Luke Zazula 14:54
Blazers [3-2] Connor Zary (24) 17:15 SH
Blazers [4-2] Jermaine Loewen (28) 19:11 Empty Net
Cougars- Taylor Gauthier (Loss) 59:28 21/24
Blazers- Dylan Garand (Win) 60:00 29/31
The Cougars finish the season with 19-41-5-3, finishing fifth in the B.C. Division. The team would like to thank their fans, sponsors, volunteers and the community of Prince George for their tremendous support this past season.
Images from this story
Prince George Cougars celebrate a goal
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Chiefs' First Round Schedule Versus Portland Announced - Spokane Chiefs
- Blichfeld Sets WHL Scoring Title in Final Home Game - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Close out Regular Season with Awards Ceremony - Victoria Royals
- Rebels Fall to Ice in Final Regular-Season Contest - Red Deer Rebels
- Hitmen Honour 2018-19 Award Recipients - Calgary Hitmen
- Loschiavo, Oil Kings Send Hitmen to Loss before Postseason - Calgary Hitmen
- Cougars 2018-19 Awards Banquet Winners Announced - Prince George Cougars
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Seattle - Game #68 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Beat Pats, Host Awards - Brandon Wheat Kings
- ICE Close out Regular Season against Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, March 17 vs. Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Desperate Blazers Down Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Blades Split Final Weekend Series with Raiders - Saskatoon Blades
- T-Birds Down Winterhawks in Last Regular Season Home Game - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rockets Topple Giants in OT - Kelowna Rockets
- Fasko-Rudas, Everett Offense too Much for Victoria - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Snag a Single Point in Regular Season Finale in Kelowna - Vancouver Giants
- Beckman's Hat Trick, Hughes' Pair of Goals Fuel 10-1 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Wrap up Regular Season - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Finish Regular Season with Loss in Spokane - Tri-City Americans
- Raiders End Regular Season With Win Over Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Fall to Silvertips in Season Finale - Victoria Royals
- Blazers, Rockets to Meet in 2019 WHL Tiebreaker Game - WHL
- Offensive Third Period Ends in Seattle Win - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.