Giants Snag a Single Point in Regular Season Finale in Kelowna
Kelowna, B.C. - Saturday night at Prospera Place in Kelowna the Vancouver Giants (48-15-3-2) dropped a 3-2 overtime decision to the Kelowna Rockets in their final regular season game of 2018-19. Mark Liwiski scored at 3:40 of overtime to extend the Kelowna Rockets season to at least Tuesday night. Justin Sourdif and Jadon Joseph responded with goals for the Giants who also got 32 saves from goaltender David Tendeck. Brayden Watts assisted on both Giants goals.
VAN - 12:46 into the first period the Giants got on the board first when Justin Sourdif (23) converted off a Dallas Hines rebound. Brayden Watts also assisted on Sourdif's power play marker. The Giants finished their night one-for-one on the power play.
KEL - 80 seconds later the Rockets caught a break when Cayde Augustine's shot from the left-wing point bounced off a Giants defenceman and past David Tendeck to tie the game at 1-1.
Shots: 11-7 Vancouver
KEL - Alex Swetlikoff (6) put Kelowna ahead 2-1 at 15:29 when he converted off his own rebound off a wrap-around chance.
Shots: 13-6 Kelowna
VAN - With less than a minute remaining in the game and their net empty, the Giants tied the game 2-2 when Jadon Joseph's blast from the right-wing point snuck through traffic and by Rockets netminder Roman Basran. For Joseph it was his 22nd of the season and was assisted by both Brayden Watts and Milos Roman.
Shots: 9-3 Kelowna
KEL - After they were unable to convert on an overtime power play, the Kelowna Rockets extended their season when Mark Liwiski charged wide down the left-wing and placed a low shot through David Tendeck's legs to give the Rockets the 3-2 victory, forcing a one-game playoff play-in game with Kamloops Tuesday night.
Shots: 6-1 Kelowna
Final Score: Kelowna 3 - Vancouver 2 (Overtime)
Final Shots: 35-21 Kelowna
David Tendeck: 32/35 saves for Vancouver (24-10-2-1)
Roman Basran: 19/21 saves for Kelowna (20-19-3-1)
Vancouver: 1/1 on the Power Play
Kelowna: 0/2 on the Power Play
1. Alex Swetlikoff (KEL - 1G, 1A)
2. Roman Basran (KEL - 19 Saves)
3. David Tendeck (VAN - 32 Saves)
Next Giants Game: Friday, March 22nd at home against Seattle in Game #1 of their first-round best-of-seven series.
- Justin Sourdif ends his rookie season with 23 goals for the Giants. That's the third most goals ever scored by a Giants 16-year-old.
- Dawson Holt suited up in his 200th career WHL game on Saturday for the Giants.
- Joel Sexsmith made his 2018-19 Giants debut on Saturday. The ninth overall pick from the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft has posted five goals and seven assists for 12 points in 15 games this season with the Delta Hockey Academy.
- 48 wins is the third most wins ever recorded by the Giants in a single season.
- With 101 points on the season the Giants finished atop the Western Conference standings, one point ahead of the Everett Silvertips.
Images from this story
Vancouver Giants vs. the Kelowna Rockets
Vancouver Giants left wing Owen Hardy (left) battles the Kelowna Rockets
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Chiefs' First Round Schedule Versus Portland Announced - Spokane Chiefs
- Blichfeld Sets WHL Scoring Title in Final Home Game - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Close out Regular Season with Awards Ceremony - Victoria Royals
- Rebels Fall to Ice in Final Regular-Season Contest - Red Deer Rebels
- Hitmen Honour 2018-19 Award Recipients - Calgary Hitmen
- Loschiavo, Oil Kings Send Hitmen to Loss before Postseason - Calgary Hitmen
- Cougars 2018-19 Awards Banquet Winners Announced - Prince George Cougars
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Seattle - Game #68 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Beat Pats, Host Awards - Brandon Wheat Kings
- ICE Close out Regular Season against Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, March 17 vs. Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Desperate Blazers Down Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Blades Split Final Weekend Series with Raiders - Saskatoon Blades
- T-Birds Down Winterhawks in Last Regular Season Home Game - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rockets Topple Giants in OT - Kelowna Rockets
- Fasko-Rudas, Everett Offense too Much for Victoria - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Snag a Single Point in Regular Season Finale in Kelowna - Vancouver Giants
- Beckman's Hat Trick, Hughes' Pair of Goals Fuel 10-1 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Wrap up Regular Season - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Finish Regular Season with Loss in Spokane - Tri-City Americans
- Raiders End Regular Season With Win Over Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Fall to Silvertips in Season Finale - Victoria Royals
- Blazers, Rockets to Meet in 2019 WHL Tiebreaker Game - WHL
- Offensive Third Period Ends in Seattle Win - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Fall in Game 7 Overtime, Raiders Capture the Ed Chynoweth Cup
- Giants Force Game 7 with a 4-2 Win Sunday in Prince Albert
- Giants Stave off Elimination with a 4-3 Win in Game 5 at Home
- Giants Fall 1-0 to Raiders in Game 4, Now Trail the Championship Series 3-1
- Giants Fall 8-2 to the Raiders, Now Trail 2-1 in the Rogers WHL Championship Series