Des Moines Tops Hawks, 4-0
Remington Keopple stopped all 30 Waterloo Black Hawks shots, providing the foundation for the Des Moines Buccaneers' 4-0 Saturday win at Young Arena.
The Hawks outshot Des Moines 13-9 in the first period, and the teams had nine chances apiece in the second during a tightly-played contest through 40 minutes.
The opening frame was scoreless, and the game was just 1-0 after two. Zach Urdahl had the only goal through the second intermission. He sped into the Hawks' zone and lifted a shot under the crossbar at 6:45, just moments after a Waterloo power play had ended.
A Des Moines goal was disallowed just over a minute into the third due to contact in the Black Hawks crease. However the Buccaneers went to a power play seconds later and capitalized at 2:41. Alex Laferriere recorded the first of three points with an assist when Noah Ellis redirected his pass just outside the crease.
Laferriere added a goal of his own during a subsequent five-on-three power play at 7:07, blasting in a one-timer from the left dot.
The Buccaneers put the game out of reach at 12:44 when Michael Bevilacqua slipped in the puck a moment after Laferriere's faceoff win.
The Hawks' next home game is Friday versus the Sioux Falls Stampede at 7:05 p.m. The game is part of Waterloo's John Deere Weekend, and the Hawks will wear John Deere jerseys, to be auctioned at the conclusion of the weekend to benefit Cedar Valley United Way.
Des Moines 0 1 3 - 4
Waterloo 0 0 0 - 0
1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Sasson Wat (holding), 3:27; Faremouth Dm (high sticking dbl minor), 13:50; Truman Dm (roughing), 15:38; Schingoethe Wat (roughing), 15:38.
2nd Period-1, Des Moines, Urdahl 21 (Faremouth, Luedtke), 6:45. Penalties-Faremouth Dm (slashing), 4:37; Ness Wat (tripping), 8:33.
3rd Period-2, Des Moines, Ellis 5 (Laferriere, Mercuri), 2:41 (PP). 3, Des Moines, Laferriere 21 (Luedtke), 7:07 (PP). 4, Des Moines, Bevilacqua 3 (Laferriere), 12:44. Penalties-Schingoethe Wat (tripping), 1:36; Lagerback Wat (slashing), 5:14; Reiners Wat (holding), 5:23; Shoudy Dm (roughing), 13:53; O'Hara Wat (roughing), 13:53.
Shots on Goal-Des Moines 9-9-15-33. Waterloo 13-9-8-30.
Power Play Opportunities-Des Moines 2 / 5; Waterloo 0 / 2.
Goalies-Des Moines, Keopple 8-7-3-0 (30 shots-30 saves). Waterloo, Glockner 9-16-1-0 (33 shots-29 saves).
Referees-Sam Heidemann (6).
Linesmen-Alec Almquist (44), Bryan Gorcoff.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2021
- Lancers Sweep Force in Weekend Series, 4-3 Final - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Sweep Stampede for Sixth Straight Win - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Get Revenge against Musketeers, Win 3-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Des Moines Tops Hawks, 4-0 - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Steel's Offensive Prowess Overshadows Saints - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel Beat Dubuque 7-2 to Clinch Playoff Berth - Chicago Steel
- Steel First USHL Team to Clinch Playoff Berth - Chicago Steel
- Storm Set to Battle Stampede for Final Time this Season - Tri-City Storm
- Lumberjacks Head Coach Signs Contract Extension - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Lancers Blank Force, 4-0 - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.