Denver Shows Support of Colorado Rapids Ahead of Thanksgiving Day Western Conference Semifinal
As the Colorado Rapids prepare to host the first-ever Audi MLS Cup Playoff match on Thanksgiving Day, the Denver community is showing its support in a variety of ways.
"We couldn't be more thrilled to celebrate this national holiday with our fans and to host this first-ever MLS playoff game on Thanksgiving right here at Dick's Sporting Goods Park," said Wayne Brant, Rapids Senior Vice President of Business Operations. "More importantly, this historic game has also provided us with a fantastic opportunity to work with our partners and supporters to give back to our community. We're going to be able to donate over 30 meals to the Food Bank of the Rockies for every fan in attendance on Thursday, which could add up to over half a million meals to people in need across the state."
The Rapids' will host Portland Timbers FC at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park at 2:30 p.m. MT on Thanksgiving Day in a match that will be nationally televised on FOX and FOX Deportes. Colorado earned a first-round bye after finishing top of the Western Conference on the final day of the regular season. This is the Rapids' second playoff appearance in two full seasons under head coach Robin Fraser.
Colorado's 2021 playoff campaign is presented by Tipico, the club's exclusive sports betting partner throughout the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Community Activations & Support
16 local companies have partnered with the Rapids and Kroenke Sports Charities to donate 30 meals to the Food Bank of the Rockies this Thanksgiving for every fan in attendance at the Rapids' playoff match. That would add up to over a half-million meals donated if the Rapids see a sold-out crowd on Thursday.
Playoff Hub at Number 38. Throughout the Rapids' run in the 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, Number 38 will serve as the club's official playoff hub. The RiNo-based bar hosted the Rapids' official playoffs kickoff party, along with a watch party of the Round One match between the Portland Timbers and Minnesota United FC, which determined the Burgundy Boys' opponent in the Western Conference Semifinal. The Rapids will continue to partner with Number 38 throughout the playoffs and will have more activations announced in the near future.
Over 50 local organizations, including pro teams, college teams, youth clubs and club partners will be expressing their support for the team via social media between Monday and Thursday.
Player appearances at Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche games. The local NBA and NHL teams have welcomed Rapids players in all their home games leading up Thursday's playoff match. Midfielder Younes Namli will be making an appearance at the Avalanche's home game tonight against the Ottowa Senators.
Denver landmarks will be lit burgundy. Several iconic locations in the city will be lit up in burgundy lights throughout the week in support of the Rapids:
Ellie Caulkins Opera House
The Mile High Tree will feature the Rapids' crest. Located on the 16th Street Mall in Downtown Denver, The Mile High Tree, presented by Modelo USA, is the tallest digital tree in the country and Denver's tallest art installation ever, standing 110-feet tall and decorated with more than 60,000 LED lights.
7th Annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot in Central Park. The Rapids have teamed up with the Stanley Harvesting Hope 5K to host a team in the annual race for charity. All participants who sign up with the club's special code will receive a discount and 100% of the proceeds from the race are donated to the Foundation for Prader-Willi Research (FPWR), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
Rapids' Friendsgiving Tailgate. The biggest Friendsgiving in Colorado will kick off at 10 a.m. MT prior to the Rapids' match at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park. Open to the general public, the tailgate will feature a viewing of the Detroit Lions-Chicago Bear NFL game on a 13-foot TV screen along with a live DJ spinning music, various food trucks, craft beer and boozy hot chocolate. Parking is free.
16,000 fans will receive a commemorative, 16-inch gameday flag to be used during a special crowd activation prior to the match.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 23, 2021
- City Falls to Nashville SC in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Goalkeeper Stefan Frei Wins 2021 MLS Save of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announce Winners of 2021 AT&T MLS Goal of the Year, 2021 Save of the Year Presented by Allstate - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Forward Rubio Rubin Wins 2021 AT&T Goal of the Year - Real Salt Lake
- Colorado Rapids Announce Tipico Sportsbook as the Official Presenting Sponsor of the Club's 2021 Playoffs Run - Colorado Rapids
- Denver Shows Support of Colorado Rapids Ahead of Thanksgiving Day Western Conference Semifinal - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Academy Roundup: November 20 - FC Cincinnati
- Gregore Named Inter Miami CF's 2021 MVP - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 23, 2021 - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Announce Javier Pérez Will Not Return as Head Coach - Toronto FC
- Austin FC Announce Details of New "El Arbolito CupÃ¢ÂÂ Presented by Visible - Austin FC
- The Pitch: MLS Thanksgiving Week Menu Almost Set - MLS
- Djordje Mihailovic and Rudy Camacho Win Club's End-Of-Season Individual Awards - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Captain Jack Price Selected to Team of the Week Following Performance against Seattle
- Colorado Rapids Best CCL Champions Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 to Extend Unbeaten Streak
- Rapids Host Seattle Sounders in First-Ever Doubleheader at DSGP
- Keys against Seattle: Manage the Midfield and Keep the Streak Alive
- Gameday Guide: Your Complete Timeline for the Rapids' Sunday Doubleheader