City Falls to Nashville SC in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Orlando City SC saw its 2021 Major League Soccer campaign come to an end on Tuesday night, falling 3-1 to Nashville SC in Round One of the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Daryl Dike scored the lone goal for the Lions in the match, his fifth in as many matches across all competitions. The 2020 MLS SuperDraft selection finishes the year as the side's leading scorer with 11 goals in all competitions through the 2021 season. Mauricio Pereyra earned the assist on the finish, his 11th in all competitions this year to tie teammate Nani for the single-season Club-record.
City finishes off a year that saw the side set new records for points in a single-season (51), wins (13), clean sheets (9) and home wins (8), punching its ticket to the postseason for the second-consecutive year.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
"Obviously disappointed with the result. We did many things on the field to be able to advance today, but Nashville took advantage of something that they're good at in the counters and those counters affected us today and that's the difference in the game. We will absorb that, I think the effort from the players and the desire, their willingness to compete as we always ask them, it was there on the field so there's nothing to regret. It's painful, but the boys left it all on the field and we can't complain about that."
14' Daryl Dike (Mauricio Pereyra) - ORL 1, NSH 0
The Lions took the early lead with Mauricio Pereyra whipping in a corner from the left side of the pitch, finding the head of a towering Daryl Dike in the box for the finish for his fifth goal in as many matches for City.
21' Hany Mukhtar (Aníbal Godoy) - ORL 1, NSH 1
The home side leveled just seven minutes later with Hany Mukhtar driving up the middle of the field before lofting up a shot from outside the area, dipping inside the near post for the equalizer.
74' Hany Mukhtar (C.J. Sapong) - NSH 2, ORL 1
The Nashville No. 10 notched another to give the home side the lead, this time taking it up the pitch before driving across the area and sending his shot into the far post.
90+4' Jhonder Cádiz (David Lovitz) - NSH 3, ORL 1
The home side added the insurance in second-half stoppage time off a long ball from David Lovitz that found Jhonder Cádiz, who was able to make his way in behind the City defense and slot in the finish.
Daryl Dike scored his first postseason goal as a Lion in the match, his 11th in all competitions on the calendar year and his fifth in as many matches. Of the 11 goals City has scored against Nashville SC throughout their matchup history, the 2020 MLS SuperDraft selection has netted six of them.
Mauricio Pereyra earned his first assist in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, good for his 11th of the year in total. With the helper, Pereyra tied Nani's single-season Club record for assists in all competitions.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja made just one change from his Decision Day starting lineup, with Chris Mueller reentering the fold for the side.
Tuesday night served as the first road postseason match for the Lions in Club history as the side began its second-consecutive run in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
Teams 1 2 F
Nashville SC 1 2 3
Orlando City SC 1 0 1
ORL - Daryl Dike (Mauricio Pereyra) 14'
NSH - Hany Mukhtar (Aníbal Godoy) 21'
NSH - Hany Mukhtar (C.J. Sapong) 74'
NSH - Jhonder Cádiz (David Lovitz) 90+4'
ORL - Mauricio Pereyra (Yellow Card) 39'
ORL - Sebastián Méndez (Yellow Card) 65'
NSH - Jalil Anibaba (Yellow Card) 85'
Orlando City SC - GK Pedro Gallese; D Emmanuel Mas (Silvester van der Water 90+2'), Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Ruan; M Mauricio Pereyra ©, Sebastián Méndez (Alexandre Pato 80'), Júnior Urso, Chris Mueller (Tesho Akindele 80'); F Benji Michel (Nani 75'), Daryl Dike
Substitutes Not Used: GK Mason Stajduhar; D Rodrigo Schlegel, Kyle Smith; M Andrés Perea, Uri Rosell
Nashville SC - GK Joe Willis; D Jack Maher, Walker Zimmerman, Eric Miller (Jalil Anibaba 83'); M Daniel Lovitz, Randall Leal (Brian Anunga 90+1'), Aníbal Godoy, Dax McCarty © (Alex Muyl 90+1'), Alistair Johnston; F C.J. Sapong (Jhonder Cádiz 83'), Hany Mukhtar
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bryan Meredith; D Taylor Washington; M Luke Haakenson; F Abu Danladi, Aké Loba
Details of the Game:
Time: 8 p.m. ET
Date: Nov. 23, 2021
NSH - 45.6%
ORL - 54.4%
NSH - 9
ORL - 9
NSH - 1
ORL - 3
NSH - 16
ORL - 15
NSH - 0
ORL - 5
Heineken Man of the Match: Daryl Dike
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 23, 2021
- City Falls to Nashville SC in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Goalkeeper Stefan Frei Wins 2021 MLS Save of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announce Winners of 2021 AT&T MLS Goal of the Year, 2021 Save of the Year Presented by Allstate - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Forward Rubio Rubin Wins 2021 AT&T Goal of the Year - Real Salt Lake
- Colorado Rapids Announce Tipico Sportsbook as the Official Presenting Sponsor of the Club's 2021 Playoffs Run - Colorado Rapids
- Denver Shows Support of Colorado Rapids Ahead of Thanksgiving Day Western Conference Semifinal - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Academy Roundup: November 20 - FC Cincinnati
- Gregore Named Inter Miami CF's 2021 MVP - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 23, 2021 - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Announce Javier Pérez Will Not Return as Head Coach - Toronto FC
- Austin FC Announce Details of New "El Arbolito CupÃ¢ÂÂ Presented by Visible - Austin FC
- The Pitch: MLS Thanksgiving Week Menu Almost Set - MLS
- Djordje Mihailovic and Rudy Camacho Win Club's End-Of-Season Individual Awards - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- U.S. Soccer Selects Orlando to Host Final Home FIFA World Cup Qualifier of 2022 Cycle
- Orlando City Signs Defender Rodrigo Schlegel to New Contract
- Orlando City SC Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule, Presented by Orlando Health
- Orlando City Re-Signs Forward Alexandre Pato
- Orlando City SC Promotes Luiz Muzzi and Ricardo Moreira; Extends Contract with Both