Denver Cutthroats Swept by Quad City Mallards
Moline - The Denver Cutthroats closed out their five-game road series against the Quad City Mallards on Saturday, November 9 in Moline, Illinois. The Cutthroats fell to the Mallards in the last minute of regulation to close out the weekend series, 4-3 Quad City.
The Cutthroats took an early lead as Garett Bembridge (Troy Schwab, A.J. Gale) fired a shot at the Mallards net to put Denver up 1-0. The lead soon doubled as Vincent Arseneau (Matt Glasser, T.J. Fox) made the second goal of the night for the Cutthroats. The Mallards worked fast to tie the score in the second half of the period. Vladimir Nikiforov (Matt Boyd, Gergo Nagy) put the first goal on the board for the Mallards. Quad City's Jeff Lee (Thomas Frazee, Matt Duffy) tied the score 2-2 heading into the first intermission.
Twelve minutes into the second period, on the Cutthroats power play J.P. Chabot (Bembridge, Schwab) gave Denver the lead for the second time in the game. The Mallards closed out the period with a goal from Lee (Michael Monfredo, Frazee), his second of the night.
The teams headed into the closing period tied at 3-3. In a nearly scoreless third period, Quad City's Mike Hellyer (Jim McKenzie, Mike Stinziani) gave the Mallards the lead 4-3 with less than a minute to go in regulation. This was the first time of the night that Quad City took the lead and held on to sweep the Cutthroats in the two-game weekend series.
The Denver Cutthroats return to the Denver Coliseum on Tuesday, November 12 to face the Arizona Sundogs. As a part of Military Salute week, the Cutthroats will honor and remember the 19 members of the Prescott Granite Mountain Hotshots who courageously lost their lives on June 30 near the home of the Sundogs. The puck drops at 7:00 PM. For ticket information, visit DenverCutthroats.com or call 866.464.2626.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2013
- Oilers Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Shootout Win over Chill - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Shut Down by Missouri in 3-0 Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Fall Short Against Undefeated Rush In 6-5 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Denver Cutthroats Swept by Quad City Mallards - Denver Cutthroats
- Mavericks Shut Out Thunder 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Late Hellyer Goal Gives Mallards Win over Denver - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Add Defenseman; Make Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Down Brampton 6-1 - Allen Americans
- Arizona Falls to Rapid City in 3-2 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster