Late Hellyer Goal Gives Mallards Win over Denver
MOLINE, Ill. - Mike Hellyer broke a 3-3 tie with just 55 seconds left in regulation, Jeff Lee scored twice and Ty Rimmer made 37 saves as the host Quad City Mallards edged the Denver Cutthroats 4-3 Saturday night.
Hellyer scored the game winner from the doorstep on a goalmouth feed from Jim McKenzie. Rimmer then came up with perhaps his biggest save of the evening, denying Denver's T.J. Fox point-blank to preserve the victory with just seconds left on the clock.
The Mallards had twice battled from behind earlier in the night. After Jean-Philipp Chabot's power play tip-in gave Denver a 3-2 lead at 7:27 of the second period, the Mallards rebounded to tie the game for a second time when Lee scored from the slot at 11:10 of the second.
The first period saw the Mallards recover after the Cutthroats scored twice in 51 seconds to jump out to an early 2-0 lead. Garret Brembidge scored the first goal of the night from the slot at 3:17 of the first. At 4:08 Vincent Arseneau buried a rebound to double the Denver advantage. The Mallards bounced back when Vladimir Nikiforov halved the margin with a backhander from the left wing circle at the 10:38 mark. With just a minute and 21 seconds left in the period Lee's wrist shot from the high slot knotted the game.
The Mallards return to action next Friday in Denver. The Mallards next play at home on Friday, November 29 at 7:05 p.m. against the St. Charles Chill. November 29 is also a $1 Dog/$1 Beer Friday presented by 97X. Fans can purchase hot dogs and beer for $1 at iWireless Center concession stands during all Friday night home games.
Tickets for the November 29 game and all other Mallards regular season home games can be purchased at the iWireless Center ticket office, Ticketmaster outlets, through ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2013
- Oilers Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Shootout Win over Chill - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Shut Down by Missouri in 3-0 Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Fall Short Against Undefeated Rush In 6-5 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Denver Cutthroats Swept by Quad City Mallards - Denver Cutthroats
- Mavericks Shut Out Thunder 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Late Hellyer Goal Gives Mallards Win over Denver - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Add Defenseman; Make Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Down Brampton 6-1 - Allen Americans
- Arizona Falls to Rapid City in 3-2 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings