Arizona Falls to Rapid City in 3-2 Loss
Prescott Valley, AZ - The Arizona Sundogs fell to the undefeated Rapid City Rush at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center Friday night.
Friday's game began similar to the last time the two clubs met in Prescott Valley on November 2, 2013 when Arizona held the early lead over Rapid City but found themselves battling back to make up ground. Ian Schultz notched the first goal of the game 1:59 into the first period after a slap shot made by Justin Pender was deflected off the stick of Schultz. Former Rush alumni, Damian Surma scored for Arizona on the power play after Rush's Matthew Larke was called for holding, giving Arizona an early, two goal lead which Rapid City soon erased. Rush's Justin Faryna, scored 12:35 into the period and Ryan Palmer tied the game with under two minutes left in the period, beating Engelage with a shot to his glove side.
Heading into the second period the Sundogs found themselves on the penalty kill 36 seconds into the period after Garrett Clarke and Scott Wray dropped their gloves and each received a five minute fighting major and Clarke received an additional two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct. Jesse Schultz looked for a goal on the breakaway but Sundogs' Engelage denied him the opportunity, though minutes later Konrad Reeder would score on Arizona giving them the lead after 40 minutes of play.
The last 20 minutes would remain scoreless between the two clubs affording Rapid City to remain undefeated. Rapid City out shot Arizona 34-29 and Engelage took the loss for the Sundogs blocking 31 shots. Arizona was 1-3 on the power play while Rapid City was 0-4.
Both teams will meet again tomorrow for their final of a consecutive five game stretch before Arizona travels to Denver for a game and then to St. Charles for a pair.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2013
- Oilers Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Shootout Win over Chill - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Shut Down by Missouri in 3-0 Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Fall Short Against Undefeated Rush In 6-5 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Denver Cutthroats Swept by Quad City Mallards - Denver Cutthroats
- Mavericks Shut Out Thunder 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Late Hellyer Goal Gives Mallards Win over Denver - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Add Defenseman; Make Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Down Brampton 6-1 - Allen Americans
- Arizona Falls to Rapid City in 3-2 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.