Denver Cutthroats Fall in Shootout
Denver - The Denver Cutthroats faced off with the Quad City Mallards on Saturday, November 16 at the Denver Coliseum. In a sudden-death shootout, the Mallards defeated the Cutthroats 3-2 to close the weekend series in Denver.
On his 71st shot of the 2013-14 season, A.J. Gale (Garett Bembridge) scored the first goal of the night for the Denver Cutthroats to take the lead 1-0. Goaltender Kieran Millan managed to keep 16 shots on goal out of the Cutthroats net during the opening period to keep the score at 1-0 Denver at first intermission.
The Quad City Mallards Nicholas Rioux (Darren McMillan, Jim McKenzie) tied the score 18 minutes into the second period. Less than 30 seconds later, Matt Boyd (Gergo Nagy) gave the Mallards the lead for the first time in the night, to close the period 2-1 Quad City.
On the power play, Cutthroats J.P. Chabot (Daniel Maggio, Cam Reid) netted the puck 50 seconds into the third period to tie the score 2-2. The score stood 2-2 to close the third period and send the game into overtime. After a scoreless five minutes, the teams lined up for a five-round shootout. Quad City's Mike Hellyer found the back of the Cutthroats net, but was immediately countered by Denver's Bembridge and turned into a sudden-death shootout. The Mallards Gabriel Levesque ended the game with a final goal to close the night 3-2 Quad City.
The Denver Cutthroats will welcome the Missouri Mavericks on Tuesday, November 19 at the Denver Coliseum. Puck drops at 7:00 PM. For ticket information, visit DenverCutthroats.com or call 866.464.2626.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 17, 2013
- Oilers Power Past Beast for Third Straight Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Heemskirk Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Denver Cutthroats Fall in Shootout - Denver Cutthroats
- Mavericks Split Weekend Series with 3-2 Victory in Rapid CIty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Sundogs Hold on to 3-2 Win - St. Charles Chill
- St. Charles Felt the Chill, Swept by Sundogs - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster