Defender Ayoze Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 14
INDIANAPOLIS - The USL Championship announced the Team of the Week Presented by Cleer Audio for Week 14 of the 2020 regular season on Tuesday, which included the second placement of the 2020 campaign for Indy Eleven defender Ayoze Garcia.
The TotW honor comes after the veteran defender's efforts along the left flank helped secure a crucial point in Indy Eleven's 1-1 draw against Saint Louis FC last Wednesday at Lucas Oil Stadium. Ayoze was a key component in Indy's forward distribution last time out, completing 59 of his 67 passes on the evening. The 34-year-old's ability to pick out teammates led to five chances created, one of which was an in-swinging pass that found the head of defender Neveal Hackshaw for the game-leveling goal in the 72nd minute, bringing Ayoze's assist count to three on the year.
After earning his second nod in Week 14 - earning his first in Week 3 - Ayoze is among the six Indy Eleven players named to the Team of the Week throughout the 2020 season, including Tyler Pasher (Weeks 1, 3, 4 & 5), Karl Ouimette (Week 6), Carl Haworth (Week 1), Neveal Hackshaw (Week 3) and Evan Newton (Week 8).
Ayoze has made 70 appearance - 68 in the starting lineup - since joining Indy Eleven in 2018, tallying eight goals, 16 assists and created 167 chances for his teammates along the way. Click here to read Ayoze's full player bio.
USL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM OF THE WEEK - WEEK 14 GK - Cody Laurendi, OKC Energy FC: Laurendi marked his 100th appearance for Energy FC with a five-save shutout, including a penalty kick save late in the first half, as OKC earned a 0-0 draw with Austin Bold FC on Sunday.
D - Sean McFarlane, Austin Bold FC: McFarlane helped Bold FC record back-to-back shutouts over the week, winning 16 of 29 duels and recording three interceptions and three clearances while notching an assist and four chances created in attack.
D - Dekel Keinan, Sacramento Republic FC: Keinan scored the equalizer for Republic FC in its 1-1 draw on the road against Reno 1868 FC, completed 27 of 33 passes and won 10 of 11 duels defensively in a solid all-around performance.
D - Ayoze, Indy Eleven: Ayoze recorded one assist and five key passes, won 6 of 7 duels and made six recoveries while also completing 59 of 67 passes during Indy's 1-1 draw with Saint Louis FC on Wednesday night.
M - Eric Bird, FC Tulsa: Bird scored the stoppage-time game-winner in Tulsa's 1-0 victory against San Antonio FC on Saturday night and completed 38 of 49 passes overall while winning 6 of 9 duels in a strong midfield display.
M - Speedy Williams, Louisville City FC: Williams scored the lone goal of the game, completed 55 of 62 passes, recorded two interceptions and eight recoveries and won 5 of 8 duels in LouCity's 1-0 victory against Saint Louis FC on Saturday night.
M - Jack McGlynn, Philadelphia Union II: McGlynn notched three goals across two games, including the equalizer in his side's 1-1 draw against Hartford Athletic last Wednesday night at Dillon Stadium, and completed 68 of 86 passes overall.
M - Jorge Gonzalez, Portland Timbers 2: Gonzalez scored twice as T2 took a 3-1 win against Tacoma Defiance, while also putting three of his five total shots on target and completing 24 of 33 passes overall last Thursday night.
F - Omar Sowe, New York Red Bulls II: Sowe scored twice in New York's 5-4 victory against the Philadelphia Union II and recorded 10 chances created across the Red Bulls II's two games against Atlanta and Philadelphia.
F - Cal Jennings, Memphis 901 FC: Jennings scored twice to lead Memphis to a 3-1 victory against the Charlotte Independence, while also winning 3 of 5 aerial duels and recording four shots on goal and six shots overall.
F - Amir Bashti, Atlanta United 2: Bashti had one goal and one assist, recorded four shots overall, three shots on target and two key passes while also completing 14 of 21 passes overall in Atlanta's victory against the New York Red Bulls II.
Bench: Cody Mizell (NM), Mauricio Cuevas (LA), Dre Fortune (NC), Junior Sandoval (LV), Rufat Dadashov (PHX), Sebastian Guenzatti (TBR), Jackson Conway (ATL)
Images from this story
Indy Eleven defender Ayoze Garcia
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 29, 2020
- Around the Leagues Ã¢ÂÂ Race for the Final USL Playoff Spots, MLS and NWSL Updates - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Historic Final Game at Weidner Field Wednesday - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Athletic Look for Three More Points on the Road - Hartford Athletic
- SD Loyal Faces Phoenix Rising FC in the Final Home Match of the Regular Season - San Diego Loyal
- FC Tulsa Looks to Take Next Step Toward Playoff Berth on Wednesday Night - FC Tulsa
- Goal Scorer Williams Named to USL Team of the Week - Louisville City FC
- 1868 FC Looks to Lock up Top Spot in Group A against Las Vegas Lights FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Sean McFarlane Jr. Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Austin Bold FC
- North Carolina FC to Play New York Red Bulls II in Richmond on Wednesday - North Carolina FC
- Defender Ayoze Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 14 - Indy Eleven
- Keinan Claims Spot on Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- OKC's Cody Laurendi earns Player of the Week after five-save shutout for Energy FC - USL
- RGV FC Hosts Austin Bold for a Midweek Match - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Cody Laurendi Named USL Championship Player of the Week - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Aims to Clinch Playoff Berth against Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- LouCity Launches 2021 Season Ticket Sales - Louisville City FC
- Playoff Scenarios Aplenty for LouCity in Season's Final Week - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Eleven Stories
- Three More "Boys in Blue" Confirmed for 2021
- Hackshaw, Pasher Named to USL Championship 2020 All-League Second Team
- Indy Eleven to Participate in 2021 USL Academy League & USL Academy Cup Competitions
- Ellison Brewing Co. to Create Craft Beer Inspired by Indy Eleven
- Eleven's 2020 Season Ends after Loss at Saint Louis FC