Cody Laurendi Named USL Championship Player of the Week
TAMPA, Fla. - The USL Championship announced the Team of the Week Presented by Cleer Audio for Week 14 of the 2020 regular season on Tuesday, with OKC Energy FC goalkeeper Cody Laurendi named Player of the Week after recording a five-save shutout that included a penalty kick save in his side's contest against Austin Bold FC on Sunday evening.
Making his 100th appearances for Energy FC, Laurendi put in a standout display against playoff-chasing Bold FC that included a key penalty save late in the first half. Moments after a fingertip stop to deny a curling free kick to the top-right corner of the net by Austin's Ish Jome, Laurendi came up with a low, diving save to the left corner to keep out Sonny Guadarrama's effort from the penalty spot to keep his side on level terms in the 0-0 draw.
Laurendi earned 45 percent of the ballot for his performance. Memphis 901 FC's Cal Jennings finished second with 23 percent after recording a pair of goals in 901 FC's 3-1 victory on Saturday night against the Charlotte Independence at the Sportsplex at Matthews.
The Championship's Player of the Week is selected by the USL National Media Panel, which is made up of representatives from each media market in the Championship.
USL Championship Team of the Week - Week 14
GK - Cody Laurendi, OKC Energy FC: Laurendi marked his 100th appearance for Energy FC with a five-save shutout, including a penalty kick save late in the first half, as OKC earned a 0-0 draw with Austin Bold FC on Sunday.
D - Sean McFarlane, Austin Bold FC: McFarlane helped Bold FC record back-to-back shutouts over the week, winning 16 of 29 duels and recording three interceptions and three clearances while notching an assist and four chances created in attack.
D - Dekel Keinan, Sacramento Republic FC: Keinan scored the equalizer for Republic FC in its 1-1 draw on the road against Reno 1868 FC, completed 27 of 33 passes and won 10 of 11 duels defensively in a solid all-around performance.
D - Ayoze, Indy Eleven: Ayoze recorded one assist and five key passes, won 6 of 7 duels and made six recoveries while also completing 59 of 67 passes during Indy's 1-1 draw with Saint Louis FC on Wednesday night.
M - Eric Bird, FC Tulsa: Bird scored the stoppage-time game-winner in Tulsa's 1-0 victory against San Antonio FC on Saturday night and completed 38 of 49 passes overall while winning 6 of 9 duels in a strong midfield display.
M - Speedy Williams, Louisville City FC: Williams scored the lone goal of the game, completed 55 of 62 passes, recorded two interceptions and eight recoveries and won 5 of 8 duels in LouCity's 1-0 victory against Saint Louis FC on Saturday night.
M - Jack McGlynn, Philadelphia Union II: McGlynn notched three goals across two games, including the equalizer in his side's 1-1 draw against Hartford Athletic last Wednesday night at Dillon Stadium, and completed 68 of 86 passes overall.
M - Jorge Gonzalez, Portland Timbers 2: Gonzalez scored twice as T2 took a 3-1 win against Tacoma Defiance, while also putting three of his five total shots on target and completing 24 of 33 passes overall last Thursday night.
F - Omar Sowe, New York Red Bulls II: Sowe scored twice in New York's 5-4 victory against the Philadelphia Union II and recorded 10 chances created across the Red Bulls II's two games against Atlanta and Philadelphia.
F - Cal Jennings, Memphis 901 FC: Jennings scored twice to lead Memphis to a 3-1 victory against the Charlotte Independence, while also winning 3 of 5 aerial duels and recording four shots on goal and six shots overall.
F - Amir Bashti, Atlanta United 2: Bashti had one goal and one assist, recorded four shots overall, three shots on target and two key passes while also completing 14 of 21 passes overall in Atlanta's victory against the New York Red Bulls II.
Bench: Cody Mizell (NM), Mauricio Cuevas (LA), Dre Fortune (NC), Junior Sandoval (LV), Rufat Dadashov (PHX), Sebastian Guenzatti (TBR), Jackson Conway (ATL)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 29, 2020
- Around the Leagues Ã¢ÂÂ Race for the Final USL Playoff Spots, MLS and NWSL Updates - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Historic Final Game at Weidner Field Wednesday - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Athletic Look for Three More Points on the Road - Hartford Athletic
- SD Loyal Faces Phoenix Rising FC in the Final Home Match of the Regular Season - San Diego Loyal
- FC Tulsa Looks to Take Next Step Toward Playoff Berth on Wednesday Night - FC Tulsa
- Goal Scorer Williams Named to USL Team of the Week - Louisville City FC
- 1868 FC Looks to Lock up Top Spot in Group A against Las Vegas Lights FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Sean McFarlane Jr. Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Austin Bold FC
- North Carolina FC to Play New York Red Bulls II in Richmond on Wednesday - North Carolina FC
- Defender Ayoze Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 14 - Indy Eleven
- Keinan Claims Spot on Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- OKC's Cody Laurendi earns Player of the Week after five-save shutout for Energy FC - USL
- RGV FC Hosts Austin Bold for a Midweek Match - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Cody Laurendi Named USL Championship Player of the Week - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Aims to Clinch Playoff Berth against Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- LouCity Launches 2021 Season Ticket Sales - Louisville City FC
- Playoff Scenarios Aplenty for LouCity in Season's Final Week - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.