Dayton Gems Gameday - Gems Make Final Trip to Evansville to Face IceMen
Dayton, OH - The Dayton Gems continue their 4-in-5 week by making their final trip of the regular season into the Ford Center in downtown Evansville, Indiana for a Friday night matchup with the second place IceMen. Faceoff is set for 8:15pm eastern.
Dayton most recently suffered their fourth loss in as many games on Thursday night to Bloomington 4-2 inside Hara Arena. Despite a third period comeback effort, the Dayton Gems would fall 4-2 to the Bloomington Blaze inside the historic Hara Arena on Thursday night. Scoring for the Gems was Dave Nimmo and Brandon Naurato.
Gameday In Evansville
Tonight marks the 9th meeting this season with Evansville, with the IceMne boasting a 7-1-0 record against the Gems this season coming into Friday's second to last meeting for 2012.
Dayton's last matchup with the IceMen resulted in the team's first win this year over Evansville, a 4-3 regulation win in front of over 5,000 fans inside Hara Arena back on January 28.
The IceMen are looking to bounce back after a nailbiting 4-3 loss to the first place Fort Wayne Komets, a team which they have been battling for top spot in the Turner Conference for weeks. Skating into Friday night's game with the Gems carrying their impressive 26-13-4 overall record as well as playing 15-7-1 hockey in front of their home Ford Center crowd this season, Evansville remains just two points behind the Komets in the standings.
Special teams play is always a factor between the Gems and IceMen, with Evansville maintaining the league's top penalty kill (86.0%) and a top five powerplay (19.7%). Dayton, while not cracking the top ten in either category most of the season, has shown flashes of brilliance with special teams play. Brandon Naurato scored his CHL-best tenth powerplay goal of the season for the Gems second goal in their 4-2 loss to Bloomington on Thursday night, while David Nimmo netted a shorthanded goal to get the Gems on the scoresheet one period prior.
Dayton Gems Game Notes
Jammed It for Jimmy - The Gems thawed the IceMen 4-3 in front of a season high crowd of 5,187 inside Hara Arena on Saturday, January 28. Portions of the ticket proceeds went to local teen cancer patient Jimmy Jenks, who dropped the ceremonial first puck.
Tradin Post - The Gems were just one of four teams to engage in a transaction at the trade deadline (Feb. 6), acquiring blueliner Nick Schneider from Evansville in exchange for Chad Langlais.
Mark the Spot - Dayton's newly acquired netminder Mark Sibbald comes in a trade from Allen. He was named the 10/11 SPHL Goalie of the Year while with the Huntsville Havoc.
All Star Lutes - Brett Lutes represented the Gem City as the lone Gems player participating in the 2012 All Star Game. Luteswould earn two assists and a +5 rating to help his CHL All Star team beat the CHL's Arizona Sundogs 6-4.
The Closer - Dayton's Tim Hartung sits tied for most Game Winning Goals by a defenseman with 3, while leading the CHL'sblueliners in Shootout Goals with 4.
Powerplay Master - Brandon Naurato is now tied for first in the CHL in powerplay goals with 10.
Tune Into Tonight's Game!
Catch all the action live onwave96.net and CHL TV starting at 8:00pm (eastern) with Gems broadcaster JT Szabo handling the call. Fans can also tune into the Internet radio broadcast anywhere in the world with Internet connection and on the go through their smartphone.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2012
- Oilers Shutout by Thunder in Season Series Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Thinel Records 700th CHL Point in Mavericks' 3-2 Win Over Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Sundogs Come Back for Shootout Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Russo Stops 42 En Route to Third Shutout of the Season - Wichita Thunder
- Blaze Suffer Third Shootout Loss of Week - Bloomington Blaze
- Gems Fall in Final Seconds of Overtime 3-2 to IceMen - Dayton Gems
- Mallards Fall in Fort Wayne - Quad City Mallards
- Martens Called-Up for Second Time this Season - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Sign Netminder Grant - Quad City Mallards
- Saturday Is Pink in the Rink at the BOK Center - Tulsa Oilers
- Dayton Gems Gameday - Gems Make Final Trip to Evansville to Face IceMen - Dayton Gems
- Shots from the Point for February 10, 2012 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"