Day Picked up by Astros
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - When Independence Day rolls around on Wednesday Lance Day will no longer be in independent baseball, as the Houston Astros have purchased the righty pitcher's contract from the Grand Prairie AirHogs on Tuesday.
Day, who went 2-0 with a 3.75 ERA in four starts with Grand Prairie, will report to the Astros' short-season A affiliate in the New-York Penn League, the Tri-City ValleyCats of Troy, N.Y.
Day's fourth and final AirHogs appearance saw him beat Amarillo 8-1 on Monday, going seven innings, allowing one run on six hits with no walks and four strikeouts.
The 22-year-old pitched the last two seasons of his collegiate career at UT-Arlington, going 12-3 with a 2.98 ERA in his senior season before joining the AirHogs mid-June.
Day is the first AirHogs player signed by a Major League organization in 2012.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs now face the Central Division-leading Wichita Wingnuts for a four-game series starting on Tuesday, July 3, at 6:05 p.m. (PLEASE NOTE THE EARLIER START TIME). All fans in attendance can use their ticket to the Pat Green concert at Lone Star Park. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2012
- Big Eighth Inning Propels Saints to 13-6 Win over Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Finally Win Series in Lincoln...But at Home - St. Paul Saints
- Kansas City Rallies to Beat Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wiley Shuts off Sioux Falls Rally in Kansas City Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Sioux City Prevails in Extras Again - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Falter in the Ninth - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Fall in 10th as Streak Hits Seven - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Jump out Early, Hold on Late - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs Hang on against Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wingnuts Add Former NBC World Series MVP - Wichita Wingnuts
- Day Picked up by Astros - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Goldeyes Welcome Back de Caster, Move Martinez - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs