David Gilbert One of Three Signed by Chicago
The Chicago Blackhawks have signed forwards David Gilbert and Byron Froese to three-year entry-level contracts, and goaltender Alexander Salak to a two-year contract.
Gilbert, 20, notched three points (2g-1a) and a +3 rating in five games with the IceHogs in 2010-11 following the conclusion of his junior campaign. The Chateauguay, Quebec, native recorded a career-high 28 goals and 51 points, along with a +22 plus/minus rating, in 52 regular-season tilts with the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in '10-11, and added three points (2g-1a) in four Quebec Major Junior Hockey League postseason contests.
Originally selected by the Blackhawks in the seventh round (209th overall) of the 2009 National Hockey League Entry Draft, Gilbert notched 156 points (70G, 86A) and 112 penalty minutes in 209 regular-season contests over parts of four QMJHL seasons with the Quebec Remparts (2007-10) and Acadie-Bathurst (2010-11). He added 19 points (14G, 5A) in 37 career postseason tilts.
Salak, 24, helped lead Farjestad BK to the 2011 Swedish Elitserien championship, ranking second along league netminders with a 1.97 GAA and .926 save percentage in 33 regular-season contests. The goaltender was acquired by Chicago, along with forward Michael Frolik, in a trade with the Florida Panthers on February 9.
The Strakonice, Czech Republic, native made his North American debut last season, being honored as an American Hockey League All-Star in the midst of compiling a 29-14-0 record and a .910 save percentage over 50 games with the AHL's Rochester Americans. He also made his National Hockey League debut, stopping 34-of-40 shots in two relief appearances with the Panthers.
Froese, 20, shared ninth in the Western Hockey League with a career-high 43 goals, including a league-leading 24 power-play markers, and ranked third on the Red Deer Rebels with a career-best 81 points in 70 regular-season games. The Winkler, Manitoba, native also paced the Rebels with five goals and added two assists in nine WHL postseason tilts.
Originally selected by the Blackhawks in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2009 National Hockey League Entry Draft, Froese notched 99 goals and 115 assists in 233 career contests over parts of three WHL campaigns with Red Deer (2010-11) and the Everett Silvertips (2008-10).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 31, 2011
- Preview: Aeros-Senators Calder Cup Finals Game 3 - Houston Aeros
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Defenseman Sami Vatanen - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Announce "Thrilling 30" Contest - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Sign Deslauriers to Entry-Level Contract - Manchester Monarchs
- American Hockey League Graduates Set to Battle for Lord Stanley's Cup - AHL
- Cizikas Agrees to Entry-Level Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks and Knighthawks 2011 Summer Camps Now Open for Registration - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Ink Three to AHL Deals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Additional Black and Gold Tickets Available Wednesday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- TNSE Launches "Drive to 13,000" to Secure NHL Franchise in Winnipeg - Manitoba Moose
- Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Club Takes Over Ticket Sales - Hamilton Bulldogs
- AHL Statement Regarding True North Sports & Entertainment Announcement - AHL
- David Gilbert One of Three Signed by Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Screech Update - Mascot a Hit in Memorial Day Parade - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.