D.C. United Waives Four Players
Washington, D.C. (November 15, 2005) - D.C. United announced today the team has released Kenny Arena, Nana Kuffour, Tim Merritt and Jason Thompson. The four released players will be available to other MLS teams in the waiver draft, to be held on Wednesday via conference call.
"We want to thank these players for their efforts on and off the field," said United Technical Director Dave Kasper. "We wish them the best of luck in the future."
After joining United in February, after two years with the MetroStars, Arena saw time in seven reserve games, but did not see the field for the first team.
Kuffour joined D.C. in July of 2004 and saw time in eight League games over the last two seasons. He scored his first MLS goal against Chicago on June 29 and also helped the reserve team to the inaugural title, scoring three goals and registering four assists.
Merritt was United's second pick in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. The North Carolina product did not see the field for an MLS match, but made 11 reserve team appearances, notching a goal and assist.
Thompson made a single appearance for United in 2005. The forward saw a minute of time in D.C.'s game with Kansas City on July 20. He was an integral part of United's reserve team, scoring the game-winning goal in the last game of the season to clinch the division title.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 15, 2005
- Crew waives four players, waiver draft set for tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Place Three Players on Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Galaxy waive Costa Rican defender - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA waives seven players - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes Place Forward Roger Levesque And Midfielder Orlando Ramirez On Waivers - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United Waives Four Players - D.C. United
- MetroStars waive six - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids To Help Feed 60,000 of Denver's Needy This Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- Galaxy weekly update - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MLS Issues Statement Regarding Status of San Jose Earthquakes - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.