D.C. United Re-Sign Frederic Brillant to a Two-Year Contract Extension
Loudoun County, Va. - D.C. United have re-signed defender Frédéric Brillant to a two-year contract extension.
"One of our focuses this off-season was bringing back the backline that performed so well in 2019," Dave Kasper, D.C. United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "Frédéric was a main component of the defense that conceded the second fewest goals in the league last season and we're excited to retain him for the 2020 season and beyond."
Brillant has been a consistent pillar in the Black-and-Red defense since his acquisition from New York City FC on Dec. 10, 2017. In total, Brillant has scored two goals and recorded three assists in 61 MLS Regular Season appearances (57 starts) for United. His first goal for the club came in the 54th-minute of the match against the Philadelphia Union on Aug. 4, 2019. The defender also notched a goal and assist in two MLS Playoff appearances for the Black-and-Red.
In 2019, Brillant set career highs in appearances (34), minutes (2,961), goals (2) and assists (2) while being one of only 18 players in the league to appear in every MLS Regular Season match. The six-foot-three-inch defender led the entire league in blocks (34) and clearances (210) while being second only to fellow Black-and-Red defender Steven Birnbaum in headed clearances (96). Brilliant's performances in 2019 earned him five MLS Team of the Week selections in the Regular Season.
The Frenchman started his MLS career with New York City FC after signing with the Eastern Conference side from Koninklijke Beerschot Antwerpen Club in the Belgian First Division on Jan. 28, 2016. In two seasons with New York, Brillant scored two goals and recorded two assists in 54 appearances (47 starts). In 2016, he led NYCFC in appearances and starts (31), Duels won (65.2%), aerial duels (111), clearances (205) and interceptions (90). The following season he led the team in headed clearances (71) and was second in aerial duels won (49) and blocks (12).
Prior to moving to New York City, the 34-year-old spent five seasons in the Belgian First Division. He made 111 appearances and scored 12 goals in two stints with the Belgian side Koninklijke Voetbalclub Oostende (2011-2012, 2013-2016) and was with Koninklijke Beerschot Antwerpen Club between 2012-2013.
Player: Frédéric Brillant
Birthplace: Sedan, France
Previous Club: New York City FC
Transaction: United re-sign defender Frédéric Brillant to a two-year contract extension
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 10, 2019
- Timbers Forward Jeremy Ebobisse Undergoes Minor Procedure to Repair Meniscus Tear - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Signs Danny Musovski - Los Angeles FC
- Jayden Nelson Named 2019 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year - Toronto FC
- Jesus Ferreira Signs New Contract with FC Dallas - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Re-Sign Frederic Brillant to a Two-Year Contract Extension - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Defender Nicholas Slonina - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Schedules 2020 Preseason Match at Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Adds Mistral de Sherbrooke to Its Scouting and Development Centre - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Players, Paul Arriola and Bill Hamid, Selected for USMNT Training Camp
- D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Jacob Greene as 15th Homegrown Player in Club History
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020
- D.C. United Lose 4-3 against the New England Revolution on the Road