Atlanta United Schedules 2020 Preseason Match at Birmingham Legion FC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today announced it has scheduled a 2020 preseason match against USL Championship side Birmingham Legion FC on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 3:30 p.m. (CST) at BBVA Field in Birmingham, Alabama.
"Since launching our club ahead of the 2017 season, we've prioritized traveling to preseason games in the Southeast," Atlanta United President Darren Eales said. "From Chattanooga to Charleston to Nashville, and now to Birmingham, we're proud to play a role in the tremendous growth of soccer in our region. Birmingham Legion FC had a successful inaugural season in USL last year and we're excited to help launch their 2020 season at BBVA Field."
Birmingham finished its inaugural 2019 season 12-15-7 (43 points) and made the USL Championship playoffs. Legion FC defeated North Carolina FC 3-2 in the Eastern Conference Play-In match before falling to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC in the Conference Quarterfinals. Legion FC is led by President and General Manager Jay Heaps, a former defender and head coach for the New England Revolution. Birmingham's head coach is Tom Soehn who was a defender for the Chicago Fire from 1998-2000 and coached D.C. United from 2007-09. Columbus Crew SC loanee J.J. Williams was Birmingham's top scorer with eight goals in 2019 while former Atlanta United SuperDraft pick Anderson Asiedu led the team in assists with six.
Atlanta United qualified for the MLS Cup Playoffs in its third consecutive season in 2019, finishing 18-12-4 (58 points) and reached the Eastern Conference Final. The club also won a pair of trophies last year, beating Minnesota United to win the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and Club América to win the 2019 Campeones Cup.
Those interested in purchasing tickets should contact the Legion FC ticket sales office at 205-791-7145 or email email@example.com. All season ticket information is available at bhmlegion.com/2020tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 10, 2019
- Timbers Forward Jeremy Ebobisse Undergoes Minor Procedure to Repair Meniscus Tear - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Signs Danny Musovski - Los Angeles FC
- Jayden Nelson Named 2019 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year - Toronto FC
- Jesus Ferreira Signs New Contract with FC Dallas - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Re-Sign Frederic Brillant to a Two-Year Contract Extension - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Defender Nicholas Slonina - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Schedules 2020 Preseason Match at Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Adds Mistral de Sherbrooke to Its Scouting and Development Centre - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Loans Andrew Carleton to Indy Eleven
- Atlanta United Partners with America's VetDogs to Raise Future Service Dog 'Spike'
- Atlanta United Signs Jake Mulraney from Heart of Midlothian F.C.
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United