D.C. United Lands Nick Van Sicklen, Tim Merritt in Draft
WASHINGTON, D.C. (January 14, 2005) - D.C. United drafted midfielder Nick Van Sicklen and defender Tim Merritt in the 2005 Major League Soccer SuperDraft held today in Baltimore, Maryland. The team will gather Friday, January 28th to begin pre-season training in preparation for the 2005 MLS campaign.
We are very pleased with the two players that we were able to acquire in Nick Van Sicklen and Tim Merritt at todays draft, said United President and CEO Kevin Payne. Nick reminds us a lot of Josh Gros and quite frankly, we were astounded that Merritt dropped to the last pick in the draft. We think that Tim was the best passer of the ball coming out of the back line available in the combine. So overall, we are extremely pleased with our selections.
Van Sicklen, a product of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, was selected in the second round (19th overall), a pick United acquired last year in a trade with the Colorado Rapids. The 61, 165-pound midfielder ranks fourth in Wisconsins all-time record book with 76 career points. As a senior in 2004, he led the Big Ten Conference with 12 goals and seven assists for 31 points.
We felt like Nick would satisfy our primary need, said United Head Coach Peter Nowak. There were a lot of good players at the combine, but were excited to be working with Nick.
Im so excited to be joining a great organization like D.C. United, said Van Sicklen, who was an All-Big Ten First Team selection in 2004. They are the MLS champions, so for me its a real honor to have an opportunity to be part of their team. D.C. has top national players on the team, so Im real excited to get there and learn from those guys.
United also executed several trades prior to todays draft. The Black-and-Red dealt its natural second round pick in 2006 to Chicago in exchange for the Fires third round pick (25th overall) in this years draft. In turn, United sent this pick and this years first round pick (12th overall) to the MetroStars to finalize compensation for the trade that brought Jaime Moreno last season back to the Nations Capital.
In addition, United re-acquired its fourth round pick in 2005 (48th overall) from San Jose in exchange for the rights of a player to be named later. The Black-and-Red used this pick, the drafts final, to acquire Merritt.
Merritt is an attacking defender who played four years at the University of North Carolina, compiling 64 starts in 76 career appearances. The Hollywood, CA native was a member of the Tar Heels 2001 NCAA Championship team and received All-ACC Second Team honors in 2004 and 2003.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2005
- Chivas USA picks GK Brad Guzan - MLS SuperDraft 2005 - MLS
- Provo girl counts on countess - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Select Seven Players and Make Two Major Trades at 2005 MLS SuperDraft in Baltimore - San Jose Earthquakes
- No. 1 Pick Nikolas Besagno of Real Salt Lake Becomes Second Youngest Player Drafted in MLS History - MLS
- Galaxy select five players at 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Wizards Bolster Attack in 2005 MLS SuperDraft, Land Sasha Victorine in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Selects Marcus Storey, Domenic Mediate And Knox Cameron In 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Select Two Players in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Lands Nick Van Sicklen, Tim Merritt in Draft - D.C. United
- Revolution takes three defensive players in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Finishes Successful Day at 2005 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Crew Acquires 2006 First Round Draft Pick From Colorado For Jeff Cunningham - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Acquire a Portion of an Allocation and Youth International Spot from San Jose Earthquakes - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Acquire Rising Star Ricardo Clark From MetroStars - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Acquires GoalKeeper Henry Ring and 2006 Second Round Pick - FC Dallas
- Revolution selects Michael Parkhurst with ninth pick in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Acquires Richard Mulrooney, Arturo Alvarez, Picks from San Jose - FC Dallas
- RSL Selects 16-Year Old Nik Besagno with #1 Overall Pick in 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.