D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS
D.C. United forward Wayne Rooney was voted the MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS by members of the media for the month of October of the 2018 MLS season.
During October, Rooney scored five goals over five matches, with D.C. compiling a 4-0-1 record and currently maintaining an active 10-game unbeaten streak. Rooney finished the regular season with 12 goals and seven assists in only 18 games started in his first MLS campaign. D.C. completed an incredible mid-season turnaround going from last place to securing the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference in the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs with 51 points (14-11-9 overall record).
Rooney began the month with a brace in D.C.'s 2-1 victory over the Chicago Fire on Oct. 7 at Audi Field, scoring an equalizer in the 62nd minute on a tap-in before converting a penalty kick in the 81st minute for the game winner. A week later, D.C. finished with a 1-0 win over FC Dallas on Oct. 13.
The Englishman then helped D.C. to a 1-0 victory over visiting Toronto FC on Oct. 17 with a tremendous curling free kick into the top right corner from 33 yards out.
Rooney continued his dominant stretch with another brace in D.C.'s 3-1 victory over New York City FC on Oct. 21 at Audi Field, scoring his first in the eighth minute with a right-footed shot from directly in front of goal, set up by an amazing run from Luciano Acosta. D.C. then took a 3-0 lead on Rooney's penalty kick goal in the 74th minute for his second goal of the match. The club concluded its month with a scoreless draw at the Chicago Fire on Oct. 28.
D.C. United return to action tonight in the Knockout Round of the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs when hosting Columbus Crew SC at Audi Field (8 PM ET, FS1 / UniMas / TVAS / TSN3).
MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS is voted upon by a panel of select national media members in a process conducted by MLS Communications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 1, 2018
- Earthquakes Unveil Third Mini-Pitch in the Bay Area - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City SC Announces New Training Complex in Osceola County - Orlando City SC
- RAVE Foundation Executive Director Ashley Fosberg Awarded Adweek "Rising Brand Star" Honor - Seattle Sounders FC
- Veteran Sports Business Leader John Walker Named Dynamo & Dash President of Business Operations - Houston Dynamo
- One Last Look at 2018 - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Defender Christian Dean Retires from Professional Soccer - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - D.C. United
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- FC Dallas Falls to Portland Timbers 2-1 in the Knockout Round - FC Dallas
- Ten-Man Timbers Advance to Western Conference Semifinals with 2-1 Road Win over FC Dallas - Portland Timbers
- Individual Tickets on Sale Now for First Game of Western Conference Semifinals at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- NYCFC Advance to Eastern Conference Semifinals - Host Atlanta United on Sunday - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Suncoast Invitational
- D.C. United Acquire Veteran Midfielder/Defender Chris McCann
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Format and Schedule Finalized
- United Sign Defender Akeem Ward
- United Re-Sign Defender Oniel Fisher to a Contract Extension