D.C. United Announce Friendly with Club Puebla of Liga MX in September
D.C. United have announced a friendly match against Club Puebla of Mexico's Liga MX on Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at Audi Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 PM ET. Puebla finished 10th in Liga MX's Clausura 2019 and have been fighting for a Playoff spot in recent tournaments.
Popularly known as 'La Franja', Club Puebla celebrates a 75-year history with a record of 12 national and international championships and being one of only five 'Campeonísimos' of Mexico.
Puebla has been Liga MX champion two times (1983 and 1990), five times of Copa MX (1944, 1952, 1987, 1989 and 2015), two times of Ascenso MX (2005 and 2006) and once for the CONCACAF Champions League (1991).
Jason Levien, D.C. United CEO, said: "We are proud to announce that we will be hosting Club Puebla at Audi Field for a friendly in the Fall. Puebla have a strong following in Mexico and we look forward to giving Black-and-Red fans a rare chance of competing with teams from Liga MX. This friendly will be another opportunity for D.C. United to give our multicultural fans in the District an opportunity to watch an international fixture at Audi Field."
Rogelio Roa, Club Puebla's VP of Business said: "For Club Puebla, it's quite important to develop an emotional connection with our fanbase within the United States, therefore, it's very strategic to have a friendly match against one of the most iconic MLS Clubs, such as D.C. United in a city as culturally diverse as the District. Actually, this is the first of several steps of our global brand strategy to enhance our team's popularity across the United States."
D.C. United are continuing to work on hosting a variety of international clubs to ensure that Audi Field becomes a premier location for international soccer. The Black-and-Red will continue to pursue friendly matches against international opponents to appeal to the diverse and multicultural community in the District.
D.C. United Season Ticket Members will receive tickets for this match as part of their membership as this will be the third friendly included in memberships. Members can access their digital tickets immediately via the D.C. United App or www.dcunited.com/accountmanager. Members can also purchase additional tickets in priority locations via the app or Account Manager as well.
Groups of 10 or more that are interested in discounted ticket prices and on-field experiences for this friendly, can call or text (202) 655-2842 for more info.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 8, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 8, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- =?windows-1250?Q?Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: July 9 - July 13, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts NYCFC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal - Orlando City SC
- Chevron Soccer Academy to Host On-Field Combines and Tournament at Cal State Monterey Bay July 12-14 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Emmanuel Ledesma Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Army-Navy Cup VIII Returns to Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Defender Niko Hamalainen Returns to Queens Park Rangers - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 8, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Announce Friendly with Club Puebla of Liga MX in September - D.C. United
- First FC Cincinnati Fan Fest Set for August 4 - FC Cincinnati
- We Are One Nashville Under Gold - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC MLS Season Tickets on Sale to the General Public - Nashville SC
- Univision, ESPN, TSN and TVA Sports to Air Leagues Cup in the United States and Canada, Televisa in Mexico - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Loudoun United FC Lose 4-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road
- D.C. United Sign Paul Arriola to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- D.C. United Fall to Montreal in Final Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament