Cyclones Take Season Series Finale from Fort Wayne, 3-1
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - The Cincinnati Cyclones (32-17-4-2) came up with some timely penalty killing and preserved a 3-1 win over the Fort Wayne Komets (26-27-1-1) in front of 7,678 at Memorial Coliseum on Friday night. The victory was also the 100th for Head Coach Jarrod Skalde behind the Cincinnati bench.
Cincinnati jumped out to a 1-0 lead at the 8:50 mark when David Pacan sent a beautiful wrist shot past Komets goaltender Jeff Deslauriers (W, 28 saves 0-1-0) after catching a tape-to-tape pass from Chris Reed in the right circle. And thanks to 10 saves from Michael Houser (W, 21 saves, 8-5-0) and a strong penalty kill, the Cyclones took the one-goal edge into the first intermission.
The Komets used a power play to even things up at the 12:36 mark of the second period; from the center of the blue line, Jamie Milam blasted home his first of the season past a screened Houser, making it a 1-1 contest. Neither team could find the net the rest of the stanza and remained deadlocked after 40 minutes.
In the final period, a Fort Wayne turnover proved costly as Jack MacLellan grabbed the puck behind the net and hit Josh Shalla in front of the net and easily buried his 18th goal of the year - giving his team a 2-1 edge. The Komets had a late power play and pulled their goalie in an attempt to tie it, but Houser and company stayed strong again; Patrick Cehlin caught up to a loose puck during the final seconds of regulation and slammed in an empty net goal to seal a 3-1 win for Cincinnati.
The Cyclones will return to the ice at U.S. Bank Arena TOMORROW when they host the Wheeling Nailers at 7:30pm. It will be the 2013 Pink in the Rink Night to benefit Pink Ribbon Girls! The Cyclones will wear specialty jerseys that get auctioned off after the game with net proceeds going to Pink Ribbon Girls - plus, the contest will be played on PINK ICE! Call 513.421.PUCK or visit CyclonesHockey.com to reserve your seats! Fans can also get the latest team updates throughout the season on Facebook and Twitter (@CincyCyclones).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 22, 2013
- Bulls Can't Solve Robinson in 4-0 Loss to Idaho - San Francisco Bulls
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 3-2 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Titans Fall in Shootout to Elmira, 5-4 - Trenton Titans
- Cyclones Take Season Series Finale from Fort Wayne, 3-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rogers Captains Comeback for Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Zapolski Shutsout out Road Warriors 2-0 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Special Teams Lift Orlando to 4-2 Win over Gwinnett - Orlando Solar Bears
- Jackals Dismantle the Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Solar Bear Special Teams Sink Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Zapolski Propels Stingrays to 2-0 Win over Road Warriors - South Carolina Stingrays
- Eco-Friendly Weekend on March 8 and 9 at the Cow Palace - San Francisco Bulls
- Reign Bolster Defense with Matt Register - Ontario Reign
- Reign Pick up 2012 NHL Draft Pick - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - February 22 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Titans GameDay vs. Elmira, February 22 - Game 54 (Home 28) - Trenton Titans
- Titans' Roster Adjusted with Help from AHL - Trenton Titans
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Stockton Thunder - Ontario Reign
- Bulls Begin Six-Game Road Trip in Idaho - San Francisco Bulls
- Royals Thank Fans for Record Setting Pink in the Rink - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Case Loaned to AHL's Monarchs - Idaho Steelheads
- K-Wings Cananta Returns from Wolves - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gwinnett Gladiators - February 22 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Bourbeau and Cheverie to Binghamton - Elmira Jackals
- Stajcer Reassigned to Connecticut; Fernandez Signs - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Game Preview: Dog Days of Winter Tonight vs. Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bishop Called up to American Hockey League - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 22 - ECHL
- Stockton Ends Condors Winning Streak with 4-1 Decision - Bakersfield Condors
- Former Condor Weller gets on the board; Roy makes 38 saves - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Season Comes to An End Following Game 5 Loss
- Cyclones Game Notes: 2018 Kelly Cup Divisional Semifinals vs. Ft. Wayne- Game 5
- Cyclones Pushed to Brink Following Game 4 Loss
- Cyclones Announce Second Round Playoff Dates
- Cyclones Game Notes: 2018 Kelly Cup Divisional Semifinals vs. Ft. Wayne- Game 4